$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper reveals that the disabled make up a significant portion of the workforce, and looks at a company, Goodwill Industries International, that employs a caring policy of diversity towards the disabled. The paper then turns to the discrimination claims of women and the reasons for their unfair treatment. The paper also looks at the barriers that exist between the races, as portrayed by the lawsuit against the Xerox company. The paper notes that although the benefits of providing a diverse workplace appear to be quite evident, it will be up to management to ensure that plans for creating and maintaining a diverse workplace are carried out.
From the Paper:"In recent years the issue of workplace diversity has become a favored subject among American businesses. In 2001, more than 21,000 workplace discrimination lawsuits were filed in the federal court system, with close to 5,000 complaints regarding the lack of promotion opportunities for underrepresented classes. Companies such as Coca-Cola, Texaco, Winn-Dixie Stores, and Shoney's have already paid out more than $500 million in settlements. To combat such losses, companies have begun to implement programs to facilitate inclusion and tolerance in the workplace (Curtis, 2003)"
Sample of Sources Used:
- Ball, P., Monaco G., Schmeling J., Schartz, H., and Peter Blanck (2005). Disability as diversity in fortune 100 companies. Behavioral Sciences and the Law, 23(1), 97-121.
- Curdova, A. (2005). Discrimination against women in the workforce and the workplace. Parliamentary Assembly, . Retrieved Feb 05, 2006, from http://assembly.coe.int/Documents/WorkingDocs/Doc05/EDOC10484.htm
- Grutter v. Bollinger, 539 U.S. 306 (2003)
- Hopen, D. (2004). The spice of life. Journal for Quality & Participation, 27(4), 03-03.
- Reed, T. (2004). Black board directors form network. Black Enterprise, 35(5), 38.
Cite this Term Paper:
Workplace Diversity (2010, June 07) Retrieved April 14, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/workplace-diversity-120241/
"Workplace Diversity" 07 June 2010. Web. 14 April. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/workplace-diversity-120241/>