Women in Early Medieval Society
This paper looks at how, during the early medieval period, women had few opportunities to advance in society due to the strict rules that governed them.
# 94777 | 1,695 words | 9 sources | MLA | 2006 |
Published on May 07, 2007 in History (European) , Women Studies (Marriage) , Women Studies (General) , Women Studies (Women and Society)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that, although there were a few women who were writers, artists, religious leaders and even saints, the vast majority of women during the medieval period, whether they were upper class, merchant class or peasants, were expected to perform domestic functions with their chief duty being reproduction and the care of children. The author stresses that one of the key problems women faced in any situation was simply the belief of their inferiority derived from a strict adherence to religion in which women were overtly blamed for Eve's sin. The paper relates that the restrictions, which kept aristocratic women on their estates and merchant women in their shops, did not apply to peasant women who enjoyed greater freedom of movement; however, peasant women did not have real rights or opportunities to improve their status in any way because they were limited by a lack of education, which would have been deemed unnecessary, and a lack of money.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Barber, Richard. The Penguin Guide to Medieval Europe. New York: PenguinBooks, 1984.
- Conway, Stephen. "Silent Voices: Women in the Middle Ages." 1991. http://www.subverbis.com/essays/medievalwomen.rtf.
- Delort, Robert. Life in the Middle Ages. Trans. Robert Allen. New York:Greenwich House, 1972.
- Gies, Frances and Joseph Gies. Life in a Medieval Village. New York: Harper & Row Publishers, 1990.
- Karras, Ruth Mazo."Women's Labors: Reproduction and Sex Work in Medieval Europe." Indiana University Press 15.4 (2004): 153-158.
Cite this Term Paper:
Women in Early Medieval Society (2007, May 07) Retrieved August 18, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/women-in-early-medieval-society-94777/
"Women in Early Medieval Society" 07 May 2007. Web. 18 August. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/women-in-early-medieval-society-94777/>