U.S. China-Taiwan Policy
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that the United States has been plagued by questions of its policy toward the Peoples Republic of China and Taiwan, formally known as the Republic of China. The author outlines the history of this area after the Chinese civil war and of the U. S. policy throughout the early part of the cold war and after President Nixon's visit to China and the Shanghai Communiques in which both nations pledged to work toward the full normalization of diplomatic relations. The author recommends that the U.S. policy should continue as presented in these joint communiques and that Taiwan should rejoin China as a special administrative region similar to Hong Kong.
From the Paper:"Politically, the situation isn't as clear cut, hence the reason why it remains an issue. Simply put, the Peoples Republic of China have communist system, meanwhile Taiwan and the United States have a democratic system. This is the reason why throughout the cold war we gave our support to Taiwan, because of the domino theory and a belief that communist was complete evil. Under the domino theory if we had not supported Taiwan then they most certainly would have been taken over by China and we wouldn't have our capitalist "base" right next to one of our biggest enemies of the early cold war."
Sample of Sources Used:
- 96th Congress. (1979, January 1). Retrieved 11 07, 2008, from School of Pacific and Asian Studies: http://www.shaps.hawaii.edu/fp/us/tra.html
- China opposes US congress' resolution on Taiwan. (2004, 07 19). Retrieved 11 02, 2008, from China Embassy: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/xw/t143465.htm
- Cohen, E. A., & Gooch, J. (2005). Military Misfortunes: The Anatomy of Failure in War. Free Press , 165-195.
- CONGRESSIONAL RESEARCH SERVICE. (2008). CHINA'S FOREIGN POLICY AND ''SOFT POWER'' IN SOUTH AMERICA,ASIA, AND AFRICA. Washington D.C.: Library of Congress.
- Cooney, S. (2006). China's Impact on the U.S. Automotive Industry. CRS Report for Congress .
Cite this Term Paper:
U.S. China-Taiwan Policy (2008, December 10) Retrieved May 08, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/us-china-taiwan-policy-109892/
"U.S. China-Taiwan Policy" 10 December 2008. Web. 08 May. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/us-china-taiwan-policy-109892/>