Urban Pests and the Environment
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines the problems various pests, such as Canada Geese, pigeons and rats, cause in urban environments. Each pest is dealt with in separate sections of the paper. The negative effects of these pests on the urban ecosystem and on businesses is discussed. The author concludes by stating that wildlife is part of the urban environment. Human beings will be required to take an increased financial role in the process of maintaining buildings and the urban landscape.
From the Paper:"Pigeons are another animal that have created many problems for city officials because there is such an abundance of them. They are often considered to be pests or vermin because they do things like spread disease, damage property, leave feces all over city landmarks, and scare away more desirable bird species from the city. Pigeons are often talked down on, being called "rats with wings" and other derogatory names. While pigeons do remain tourist attractions in many cities, because often tourists will want to feed them, this does not take away from the negatives that they produce"
Sample of Sources Used:
- "Ecosystems Information". Environment Canada. 6 March 2005. Viewed 17 October 2006. http://www.ecoinfo.org/env_ind/region/snowgeese/snowgeese_e.cfm
- "Facts About Pigeon-Related Diseases". The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. viewed 17 October 2006. http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/epi/epi-pigeon.shtml
- "Managing Geese in Virginia". Virginia Places. viewed 17 October 2006. http://www.virginiaplaces.org/natural/geese.html
- Sullivan, Robert" Rats: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants. New York: Bloomsbury Publishing. 2004.
- "Urban Wildlife". The Environmental Literacy Council. 2 October 2006. Viewed 17 October 2006. http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/603.html
Cite this Term Paper:
Urban Pests and the Environment (2010, April 30) Retrieved May 24, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/urban-pests-and-the-environment-119475/
"Urban Pests and the Environment" 30 April 2010. Web. 24 May. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/urban-pests-and-the-environment-119475/>