Urban Development in Toronto
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines waterfront development in Toronto. In particular, it look at the history of waterfront development in Toronto since the 1970s and at how the current waterfront is falling short as a tourist attraction and as a business enterprise. The paper finally suggests which course of action makes the most sense for Toronto, as it strives to produce a twenty-first century waterfront, and then discusses these options.
From the Paper:"Moving forward, many critics are eager to point out that Toronto's tourism industry has been in a steady free-fall since the late 1990s and that Toronto's waterfront has not done its part in piquing the interest of outside visitors ("Aquarium Yes, Humanitas No," 2005: A18). Such frustration has convinced some that Fong's idea of catering to high-income "yuppies" is misguided; instead of trying to make Toronto's waterfront a place that hi-tech companies and their employees will find desirable, the focus should shift to designating aesthetically-pleasing "green spaces" along the waterfront. In fact, some seem to privilege keeping sections of the waterfront "green" more so than they do the idea of turning it into a place for low-income housing (Stefanovic, 2002: 304-315)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- "Aquarium Yes, Humanitas No," 2005, Toronto Star, 17 January, p.A18.
- Chisholm, P & Mathers, I 1990, "on the waterfront," Maclean's, 9 July, pp.32-34.
- Fung, Robert 2001, "Toronto's Waterfront," Toronto Star, 23 January, ED01.
- Gordon, David L.A. 1997a, "Financing urban waterfront development," Journal of the American Planning Association, vol.63, no.2, pp.244+, viewed 12 November, 2006, <http://questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5000443236>
- Gordon, David L.A. 1997b, "Managing the changing political environment in urban waterfront redevelopment," Urban Studies, vol.34, no.1, pp.61-83.
Cite this Term Paper:
Urban Development in Toronto (2007, December 23) Retrieved April 06, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/urban-development-in-toronto-100295/
"Urban Development in Toronto" 23 December 2007. Web. 06 April. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/urban-development-in-toronto-100295/>