Unemployment and Inflation
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper takes a look at unemployment and inflation. It begins by listing the various types of unemployment and differentiating between voluntary and involuntary unemployment. It also examines terms such as cyclical, frictional, structural, hidden, and classical unemployment. The paper then defines inflation and tries to determine whether there is a correlation between inflation rates and unemployment rates. It uses graphs and equations in attempt to determine this. The paper concludes by supporting the argument of macroeconomists that there is indeed a correlation between unemployment and inflation.
From the Paper:"Apparently, inflation and unemployment have nothing in common. However, they are tightly connected when we take into consideration the economy of a country. Their connection is not, as one may expect, a direct proportional one, but on the contrary. When the unemployment rate is high, the inflation decreases.
The best way to understand the correlation between the rate of unemployment and the rate of the inflation is by looking into the Phillips Curve. However, there are several economists that consider this perspective as outdated. We will tackle both sides."
Sample of Sources Used:
- About.com Economics (2007) Definition of Unemployment, Retrieved on 7th November 2007, From About.com, web site http://economics.about.com/od/economicsglossary/g/unemployment.htm
- Dr. Roger A. McCain, William King, (2006) Inflation and Unemployment, Retrieved on the 7th of November 2007 from website: http://william-king.www.drexel.edu/top/prin/txt/AS/where1.html
- Satyajit Chatterjee (2002) The Taylor Curve and the Unemployment-Inflation Tradeoff, Retrieved 7th November 2007from Business Review , Web site: http://www.philadelphiafed.org/files/br/brq302sc.pdf
- Study Guide (2006), Measuring the Economy II. The Tradeoff Between Inflation and Unemployment , Retrieved on 7th of November 2007 from Spark Notes, Web site: http://www.sparknotes.com/economics/macro/measuring2/section3.rhtml
- Wikipedia (2007) Inflation, Retrieved on 7th November 2007, From Wikipedia Encyclopedia, web site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation
Cite this Term Paper:
Unemployment and Inflation (2008, July 23) Retrieved December 02, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/unemployment-and-inflation-106048/
"Unemployment and Inflation" 23 July 2008. Web. 02 December. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/unemployment-and-inflation-106048/>