The Virtual LAN
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper explains how a virtual LAN (VLAN) can help manage network traffic and link together work stations under the same domain without the need for hard wiring. The paper shows how VLANs operate and function similarly to their traditional LAN counterparts. The paper discusses the advantages of using VLANS as well as the security issues involved.
From the Paper:"Network administrators once had to physically plug and unplug cables to switch local area network (LAN) assignments. A LAN was defined and delimited by its physical network architecture. Only terminals and workstations physically linked together, hard wired onto the same routers, could be LAN members. A geographically fragmented organization could not create one unified network with the same broadcast domain until the advent of virtual LAN.
"Virtual LANs still rely on hard wiring at key points in the network architecture. Yet although router switches are still in use, the virtual LAN (VLAN) replaces the router switch to create network segments. A Virtual LAN can help manage network traffic, and link together work stations under the same domain without the need for hard wiring. Network administrators can manage geographically disparate workstations without having to assign different network addresses to each of them."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Cisco (1997). "Overview of Routing between Virtual LANs." www.ks.uni-freiburg.de/download/inetworkSS05/.../VLAN-report.pdf
- "Definition of Virtual LAN." PC Mag. Retrieved Dec 8, 2008 from http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=virtual+LAN&i=53925,00.asp
- Farrow, R. (nd). VLAN Insecurity. Retrieved Dec 8, 2008 from http://www.spirit.com/Network/net0103.html
- Homan, C. (1998). VLAN Information. UC Davis. Retrieved Dec 8, 2008 from http://net21.ucdavis.edu/newvlan.htm
- NetworkWorld (2006). "VLAN (virtual LAN)." Network World. Retrieved Dec 8, 2008 from http://www.networkworld.com/details/471.html
Cite this Term Paper:
The Virtual LAN (2010, October 28) Retrieved June 02, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-virtual-lan-145203/
"The Virtual LAN" 28 October 2010. Web. 02 June. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-virtual-lan-145203/>