The Problem of Racial Profiling
This paper explores how racial profiling is a growing problem in American society today, focusing on the violation of the rights of individuals on the streets and in vehicles.
# 107544 | 2,028 words | 7 sources | APA | 2008 |
Published on Sep 07, 2008 in Sociology (General) , African-American Studies (General) , Sociology (Multiculturalism)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the alarming statistics showing the growth of racial profiling in recent years. The author presents some definitions of racial profiling and uses several cases as examples of how case law and legal interpretations are intensifying the problem by permitting more license to police officers who stop motorists and pedestrians. In an effort to reduce complaints by profiled individuals, some cities, including Los Angeles, Chicago and Detroit, are passing anti-racial profiling ordinances. However, on the national level, the End Racial Profiling Act of 2004 (ERPA) failed to pass. The author concludes that it is unlikely that the problem of racial profiling will be solved soon, given the current concerns with terrorism.
Sample of Sources Used:
- ACLU. (2007, April 29). Department of Justice Statistics Show Clear Pattern of Racial Profiling. Retrieved on May 10, 2007 from http://www.aclu.org/racialjustice/racialprofiling/29532prs20070429.html
- Amnesty International (nd). Testimony from Amnesty International USA's hearings on Racial Profiling. The Case of Donald Boyd. Retrieved on May 10, 2007 from http://www.amnestyusa.org/Racial_Profiling/While_Walking/page.do?id=1106668&n1=3&n2=850&n3=1298
- Hairston, M. (April 27-May 3, 2006). ACLU pushes racial profiling bill to end victimization of color. Mississippi Link. 14(7), A1-A2
- Hight, Bruce. (2001). Austin American Statesman. House, Senate bills aim to ban racial profiling Series: 77th Legislature. Pg. B. 1. Retrieved on April 29, 2007 from http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=69279762&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=2606&RQT=309&VName=PQD
- Krupa, G. (May 10, 2007). Anti-profiling law passed in Detroit. Detroit News. B5.
Cite this Term Paper:
The Problem of Racial Profiling (2008, September 07) Retrieved May 09, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-problem-of-racial-profiling-107544/
"The Problem of Racial Profiling" 07 September 2008. Web. 09 May. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-problem-of-racial-profiling-107544/>