The Life and Times of William Shakespeare Term Paper by Nicky
An overview of William Shakespeare's career with a focus on his play "Romeo and Juliet."
# 146529 | 1,208 words | 5 sources | MLA | 2010 |
Published on Jan 01, 2011 in Literature (English) , Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet) , Shakespeare (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper provides a brief history of William Shakespeare's life and explains why his play ''Romeo and Juliet'' is continually being interpreted and revised to suit the times. It provides examples of modern day interpretations including one version called ''Rikki and Julie'' written as though it were texted.
From the Paper:''Although dress, language, and technology has change considerably since the 1500 and 1600s, many of the same problems exist today as they did several thousand years ago. Parents still try to break up their children's relationships, and people from different backgrounds and lifestyles still feud, with violent words and sometimes even weapons. This is why the play Romeo and Juliet is produced and enjoyed just as much today as it was previously and it is directed in a wide variety of time periods.
"In his 2007 book, Romeo and Juliet, a Modern-Day Sequel, author James Edwards significantly changes the plot: When Romeo Montague dies, his spirit chases Juliet through time until he wakes up in modern-times on a Hawaiian volcano and meets a wise Zen Master. Sadly, however, there is no sign of Romeo's beloved wife, Juliet. With the passing years, his memory of Juliet fades. Then, one day he logs into an Internet chat room and begins talking with a young actress by the name of Emilie. For unexplained reasons, they fall in love almost instantly and then realize that they are reincarnated. They fight through many obstacles before they actually are together again.''
Sample of Sources Used:
- Andrews, John. National Endowment for the Humanities. Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 62: Elizabethan Dramatists. Richmond, Virginia: Gale Research, 1987.
- Complete Works of William Shakespeare "Romeo and Juliet" 10 December, 2008 http://shakespeare.mit.edu/
- Edwards, James. Romeo and Juliet, a Modern-Day Sequel. New York: Romeo Publications, 2007
- Rawles, Robert. Romeo in the schools. 10 December 2008 http://www.romeoinschools.co.uk/
- Romeo and Juliet. A Film Review by James Berardinelli 10 December, 2008. http://www.reelviews.net/movies/r/romeo_juliet.html
Cite this Term Paper:
The Life and Times of William Shakespeare (2011, January 01) Retrieved May 28, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-life-and-times-of-william-shakespeare-146529/
"The Life and Times of William Shakespeare" 01 January 2011. Web. 28 May. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-life-and-times-of-william-shakespeare-146529/>