The Impact of Divorce on Children
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines that impact that the divorce of parents has on the children of the family. It discusses the issues that children face from a social perspective and it illustrates some of the ways in which children can be negatively impacted by the trauma of divorce. The paper concludes that, if not managed properly, divorce can cause significant psychological and social impacts on the affected children for years to come.
From the Paper:"This finding was confirmed through an extensive twenty-five year study of children who experienced the divorce of their parents and then grew into adulthood, periodically returning to work with the research team to chart their psychosocial development. The study found that the immediate effects of divorce on children were not nearly so significant as the long-term effects, particularly when those children grew old enough to want to try to develop intimate relationships. Anxiety and fear of loss complicated these attempts, very often undermining the chances for interpersonal success and personal satisfaction (Benham 15). From another point-of-view, it would seem that the greatest impact on children from divorce is the long-term effects on the ability of those children to become fully self-reliant adults (Corak 712). It would seem that the specter of the divorce lingers with many of those children for decades, at least, affecting behavior and opportunities for happiness with other people."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Benham, Barbara. "How Divorce Really Impacts Kids." Family Life Mar. 2001: 15.
- Corak, Miles. "Death and Divorce: The Long-Term Consequences of Parental Loss on Adolscents." Journal of Labor Economics 19.3 (July 2001): 682-715.
- Dafoe, Barbara. "Dan Quayle Was Right." The Atlantic 271.4 (Apr. 1993): 47-67.
- Douglas, Anthony. "Legacy of Separation." Community Care 1639 (7 Sept. 2006): 36-37.
- "Unique Preventive Intervention Targets Consequences of Divorce." The Brown University Child and Adolescent Behavior Letter 18.12 (Dec. 2002): 1-4.
Cite this Term Paper:
The Impact of Divorce on Children (2008, June 02) Retrieved July 11, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-impact-of-divorce-on-children-104107/
"The Impact of Divorce on Children" 02 June 2008. Web. 11 July. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-impact-of-divorce-on-children-104107/>