The Human Genome Project
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This essay discusses recent discoveries in evolutionary studies, including the human genome project, and will speculate on the impact that these new discoveries will have on evolutionary studies. The paper concludes that we can look forward to substantial and possibly profound breakthroughs in terms of understanding what it is to be human, but warns that we should not expect to find the meaning of life with our microscopes.
From the Paper:"For example, since the completion of the human genome project, scientists have achieved another milestone: they have completed the genetic map blueprint of the chimpanzee. Due to the chimpanzee's close relationship to humans (in evolutionary terms), we now have the opportunity to better understand the evolutionary processes that have combined to create human beings. The scientific analysis has revealed that some 96% of human and chimp genomes are exactly the same. More important still are the insights provided by the differences between human and chimp genomes."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Condron, Stephanie.2005 The Missing Links: How 96 per cent of our Genes are Shared with a Chimpanzee." The Daily Mail (London, England), September 1: 35.
- Lee, Thomas F.1991 The Human Genome Project: Cracking the Genetic Code of Life. New York: Plenum Press.
- Morse, Allison. 1998. "Searching for the Holy Grail: The Human Genome Project and Its Implications." Journal of Law and Health 13:219.
- Travis, John. 1997 Biology's Periodic Table. Science News Online. 1997. Retrieved from http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc97/75th/jt_essay.htm
- Wade, Nicholas. April 7, 2000. "Analysis of Human Genome is Said to be Completed." The New York Times.
Cite this Term Paper:
The Human Genome Project (2008, June 03) Retrieved February 27, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-human-genome-project-104142/
"The Human Genome Project" 03 June 2008. Web. 27 February. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-human-genome-project-104142/>