The History and Development of the UNIVAC
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the history and development of the universal automatic computer, the UNIVAC. It describes the new possibilities that were opened up with the UNIVAC for companies and organizations in the US and shows how the UNIVAC paved the way for further funding and development of computers that have led to the modern digital age.
From the Paper:"The UNIVAC entered the public spotlight when CBS used it to cover the 1952 presidential election. Reports vary, but UNIVAC predicted the outcome of the election at around 8:30 PM the night of the election after only 1-5% of the votes had been officially counted (Cho, 2004; Deagon, 2001). Onlookers, even at Remington Rand, were dubious that the computer could produce accurate results with such a limited amount of data so quickly. Despite this skepticism, the programming and computational prowess of the UNIVAC ultimately proved accurate. The prediction it made was based on the available counted votes, the history of returns in presidential elections, and past voting habits of people throughout the nation. UNIVAC's original prediction was that Eisenhower would best Adlai Stevenson in the election by a significant margin. UNIVAC predicted 438 electoral votes would go to Eisenhower and only 93 for Stevenson, with 100 to 1 odds in favor of Eisenhower (Cho, 2004)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Cho, D. (2004, September). Picking the president. Technology Review, 107(7), p. 96.
- Deagon, B. (2001, June 15). Univac liked Ike, setting computers on correct course. Investor's Business Daily, p. A06.
- Eckert, John Presper (1919-1995). (1998). In Encyclopedia of World Biography. Thomson Gale. Retrieved April 02, 2007, from InfoTrac OneFile via Thomson Gale.
- Hopper, Grace (1906-1992). (1998). In Encyclopedia of World Biography. Thomson Gale. Retrieved April 02, 2007, from InfoTrac OneFile via Thomson Gale.
- Runyan, L. (1991, March 15). 40 years on the frontier. Datamation, 37(6), pp. 34-46.
Cite this Term Paper:
The History and Development of the UNIVAC (2008, April 07) Retrieved July 02, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-history-and-development-of-the-univac-102969/
"The History and Development of the UNIVAC" 07 April 2008. Web. 02 July. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-history-and-development-of-the-univac-102969/>