$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper provides a review of several articles that offer different but significant perspectives on the issue of ecotourism and the trend towards learning and education in the industry. The paper highlights the benefits of ecotourism as well as its potential negative impacts and predicts that ecotourism will continue to grow and expand in the future.
Summary and Assessment
Summary and Assessment
From the Paper:"Ecotourism is becoming increasingly more important in the tourism industry due to the internal crises which include the economic recession, the SARS outbreak, terrorist attacks and the war on terrorism. (Chafe, 2004; p. 2) It is important to understand the choices of consumers in Ecotourism and assess the support of the public and travel companies of Ecotourism. Ecotourism is defined by the Ecotourism Society as "a responsible travel to natural areas which conserves the environment and improves the welfare of local people." (Merg, 2007) Ecotourism involves travel to natural destinations such as remote areas which are under environmental protection whether at the national, international, communal or private level. (Merg, 2007) Ecotourism minimizes impact to the area through use of recycle materials and renewable sources of energy. Ecotourism is further characterized by safe disposal of waste and garbage and environmentally and culturally sensitive architectural design." (Merg, 2007)"
Sample of Sources Used:
- Chandler C. Ecotourism Trends -- Part 1. Retrieved January 10, 2009 from http://www.keyboard-culture-green-marketing.com/2008/03/ecotourism_trends_part_1.html
- Kimmel, J. R. (1999). Ecotourism as Environmental Learning. Journal of Environmental Education, 30(2), 40-44.
- Orams, M. B., & Hill, G. J. (1998). Controlling the Ecotourist in a Wild Dolphin Feeding Program: is Education the Answer?. Journal of Environmental Education, 29(3), 33-38.
- Sanborn, R. (2005, September/October). Trekking for Change: Vietnam's Hill Tribes Benefit from Ecotourism. E, 16, 54.
- Tuxill, J., & Bright, C. (1999, January). Sharing the Planet: Can Humans and Nature Coexist?. USA Today (Society for the Advancement of Education), 127, 31.
Cite this Term Paper:
The Ecotourism Industry (2010, December 14) Retrieved August 09, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-ecotourism-industry-146053/
"The Ecotourism Industry" 14 December 2010. Web. 09 August. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-ecotourism-industry-146053/>