The Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses how the Conservation Reserve Program is a government sponsored soil retention program that strives to preserve millions of acres of American land, and to protect these areas from the threat of topsoil erosion. The Conservation Reserve Program, or CRP as it is sometimes referred, was officially established by the introduction of the 1985 farm bill. The paper focuses on the soil protection programs and discusses the effects of soil erosion on our society through a literature review. The paper concludes with the benefits of the program and its substantial environmental benefits.
From the Paper:"While the CRP has only been in operation for just over 20 years, we have already seen substantial environmental benefits as a result of the program. The huge amount of vegetation planted for ground cover has acted as a highly effective carbon sink, removing tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and replacing it with oxygen. Another important benefit of the CRP is the increased water quality as a result of the program. According to research conducted by The Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute, the use of filter strips and buffer strips helped keep countless tons of sediment and approximately 278 million pounds of nitrogen, and 59 million pounds of phosphorous from entering our water systems in 2007. The CRP's main goal of soil erosion control has also been extremely successful. Since 1985 the CRP has reduced soil erosion by approximately 450 million tons per year. This reduction in erosion has led to increased air quality by reducing the amount of airborne dust significantly. "
Sample of Sources Used:
- "Conservation Reserve Program Acreage to Decline; Will Benefits Also Fall?" By Roger Claassen and Daniel Hellerstein. Found at www.ers.gov/AmberWaves/November08/Findings/CRPAcreage.htm
- "Weighing Pros And Cons Of CRP" By Barb Baylor AndersonnFound at http://cornandsoybeandigest.com/mag/soybean_weighing_pros_cons/
- Ohio State University Extension Fact sheet AEX-467-94: "Vegetative Filter Strips: application, Installation and Maintenance"mBy Rob Leeds, Larry C. Brown, Marc R. Sulc, and Larry VanLieshout Found at http://Ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/0467.html
- "Conservation Reserve Program" Found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_Reserve_Program
- "Conservation Reserve Program" Found at http://www.fsa.gov/FSA/webapp?area=home&subject=copr&topic=crp
Cite this Term Paper:
The Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) (2009, December 04) Retrieved June 26, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-conservation-reserve-program-crp-117466/
"The Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)" 04 December 2009. Web. 26 June. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-conservation-reserve-program-crp-117466/>