The Commonwealth Status of Puerto Rico
An examination of the history and issues surrounding the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and how it functions.
# 112599 | 2,932 words | 7 sources | MLA | 2009 |
Published on Mar 02, 2009 in History (U.S. After 1865) , Political Science (U.S.) , History (U.S. Post-Modern 1965-Present) , Political Science (U.S. Federal Politics)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the concept of a commonwealth and how it differs from the regular state-federal government structure. The paper specifically focuses on the commonwealth status of Puerto Rico and how it functions within the United States. The paper describes the history of the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and discusses the problems that it causes for Puerto Ricans, as well as possible solutions.
Sample of Sources Used:
- "Commonwealth." Webster's II New Riverside Dictionary: Revised Edition. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1996.
- Marino, John. "Puerto Rico Report: Status Goes National." Puerto Rico Herald. 2004. Puerto Rico Herald. 19 May 2008 <http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues/2004/vol8n36/PRR0836-en.html>.
- Marquez, Carlos. "Puerto Rico's Economic Future is a Matter of Status." Caribbean Business. 2006. Puerto Rico Wow. 19 May 2008 <http://www.puertoricowow.com/html/Archives/ArcDetail2.php?archID=18478>.
- "Puerto Rico." Encyclopaedia Britannica. 2008. Encyclopaedia Britannica Online. 19 May 2008 <http:www.britannica.com/eb/article-54557>.
- Rivera, Magaly. "Government." Welcome.toPuertoRico.org. 2008. Welcome to Puerto Rico. 18 May 2008 <http://welcome.topuertorico.org/government.shtml>.
Cite this Term Paper:
The Commonwealth Status of Puerto Rico (2009, March 02) Retrieved January 19, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-commonwealth-status-of-puerto-rico-112599/
"The Commonwealth Status of Puerto Rico" 02 March 2009. Web. 19 January. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-commonwealth-status-of-puerto-rico-112599/>