The Canadian Labour Movement
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses how Canadian workers have been victimized for decades by a political economic system which protects business, trade and the financial community interests at the expense of workers. The paper discusses further how globalization has also weakened the Canadian unions. The paper maintains that for Canadian unions to become more effective, the Canadian public must wake up and realize that globalization is just another name for exploitation.
From the Paper:"This dominance and control has been portrayed as the pursuit of policies which are in the best interests of all Canadians, and has been expressed through government and business support for the free market system and the neo-liberal policy of globalization. Unfortunately for millions of Canadian workers, government policy makers and businessmen interpret the free market system as a system dependent upon the ability of businesses to increase their profits. In their view, anything that diminishes the ability of Canadian businesses and corporations to expand their profit margins is harmful to the economy, and anything that enables Canadian businesses and corporations to maximize their profits is beneficial to the economy."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Barkin, David, Ortiz, Irene, and Roen, Fred. "Globalization and Resistance." NACLA, Report on the Americas, Vol. XXX (No. 4), 1997, Page 26.
- Estes, R. Trends in Social Development, 1970-1995: Development Prospects For a New Century. New York: Heritage, 1998.
- "Globalization: Threat or Opportunity?" IMF. Online. Available: http://www.imf. org/external/np/exr/ib/2000/041200.htm#V. 16 March 2007.
- Peters, John. "A Fine Balance: Canadian Unions Confront Globalization." Canadian Center for Policy Alternatives. December 2002.
- Weintraub, Sidney. "NAFTA Evaluation." Online. Available: http://www. sice.oas.org/geograph/north/nafta_e.asp. 16 March 2007.
Cite this Term Paper:
The Canadian Labour Movement (2008, March 27) Retrieved March 09, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-canadian-labour-movement-102572/
"The Canadian Labour Movement" 27 March 2008. Web. 09 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-canadian-labour-movement-102572/>