The Brain and Cognitive Functioning
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explores the brain's role in cognitive functioning, with an emphasis on human behavior. The author highlights the case of Phineus Gage, a brain trauma victim who became a landmark study in neuroscience. The paper also discusses how injury to specific regions of the brain affects behavior. The role of these regions of the brain is further described. The paper concludes that cognitive science is still in its infancy as it strives to unearth new ways of understanding why people behave the way they do.
From the Paper:"The role of the brain in cognitive functioning and particularly the prefrontal cortex has been as interesting as it has been mysterious to cognitive science. Damage to posterior regions of the brain produce obvious functioning deficits such as visual deficits (Johnson, 2010); however, the effects of frontal brain lesions are more complex even though they are less devastating to patients (Oxford University Press, 2010). Cognitive and executive functions of this area of the brain reveal a high degree of sophistication with regard to cognitive functioning, but how the neural activity within the brain rises to human thought remains as a question. To find the answer one must look closely at neural activity."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Anderson, M. L. (2010). Evolution of cognitive function via redeployment of brain areas. Retrieved from http://www.agcognition.org/papers/anderson-evol-neuro.pdf
- Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition. (2009). Research in the CNBC. Retrieved from http://www.cnbc.cmu.edu/research
- CSUB. (2010). Exaptations. Retrieved from http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/IIIE5cExaptations.shtml
- Johnson, G.S. (2010). About Brain Injury. Retrieved from http://www.waiting.com/brainanatomy.html
- Farlex. (2010). cognition. Retrieved from http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Cognitive+function
Cite this Term Paper:
The Brain and Cognitive Functioning (2010, April 09) Retrieved December 03, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-brain-and-cognitive-functioning-119197/
"The Brain and Cognitive Functioning" 09 April 2010. Web. 03 December. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/the-brain-and-cognitive-functioning-119197/>