Technology in the Classroom Term Paper by Quality Writers
Technology in the Classroom
An Instructional Technology Plan for the use of technology in teaching maths.
# 105273 | 1,338 words | 1 source | APA | 2008 |
Published on Jul 02, 2008 in Computer and Technology (General) , Education (General) , Mathematics (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper looks at an article "Enhancing Curriculum and Instruction Through Technology" by S. Rigeman and N. McIntire that outlines some ways in which computer technology can help students in middle and high school classrooms bolster their math skills and give classroom instructors a tool with which to be more responsive to the varied needs of their pupils. The paper discusses some of the limitations inherent in using the Rigeman and McIntire math program and presents an alternative Instructional Technology Plan. The paper supports interactive computer technology which allows students to move at their own pace and in an individualized context.
From the Paper:"To begin with, Sally Rigeman and Nancy McIntire (2005) state that Iowa's Area Education Agencies (AEA) district superintendents met recently to discuss how technology could be applied to the augmentation of classroom instruction. 17 of Iowa's 21 AEA districts chose to participate in the implementation of a "technology-rich, research-based, National Science Foundation (NSF)-designated 'exemplary' mathematics program - Cognitive Tutor Algebra I" (Rigeman & McIntire, 2005, p.31). The other four districts stayed with their existing math programs (all of which were NSF-approved) and acted as controls (Rigeman & McIntire, 2005). The Cognitive Tutor Algebra I curriculum used 6 research -based strategies in shaping student learning: "real-world situations; mastery learning; cooperative learning; direct instruction; group and individual presentations; and student use of technology" (Rigeman & McIntire, 2005, p.31). Within the Cognitive Tutor Algebra I classrooms of the participating districts, teachers actually guided classroom instruction about 60 percent of the time while students used the other 40 percent of the time to progress sequentially through sections of the Computer Tutor program at their own pace; the program, apparently, is also geared to accommodate the individual needs of students, as well."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Rigeman, S. & McIntire, N. (2005). Enhancing curriculum and instruction through technology. THE Journal, 32(12), 31-34.
Cite this Term Paper:
Technology in the Classroom (2008, July 02) Retrieved June 07, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/technology-in-the-classroom-105273/
"Technology in the Classroom" 02 July 2008. Web. 07 June. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/technology-in-the-classroom-105273/>