Symbols and Emotions in Advertising
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper explores how symbols, insignia, language and repeated images are used in advertising. The paper shows how the advertiser creates a semiotic, emotional world intended to persuade the consumer that it would be right and proper to buy the product or service involved.
From the Paper:"Semiotics is the study of signs and their meaning, meaning symbols, insignia, repeated images, and the like and how they are used to convey meaning. Advertising is the art of selling products by communicating with an audience, meaning a target consumer group, and various signs and symbols are used in advertising to convey the message. These signs have meaning because of the way they are repeated in advertising. Often, these signs have other meaning as well and the advertiser wants to make use of this other meaning for his own benefit."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Cole, Dianne. "The Signs of Our Time." Psychology Today (April 1989). September 24, 2006. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1175/is_n4_v23/ai_7502273.
- Coulter, Robin A., Gerald Zaltman, and Keith S. Coulter. "Interpreting Consumer Perceptions of Advertising: An Application of the Zaltman Metaphor Elicitation Technique." Journal of Advertising (Winter 2001). September 24, 2006. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3694/is_200112/ai_n9017026.
- Harris, Alan C. "Sell! Buy! Semiolinguistic Manipulation in Print Advertising." In Karen Haworth, John Deely, and Terry Prewitt, Semiotics 1990, 22-27. London: University Press of America, 1990.
- Hirschman, Elizabeth C. "Men, Dogs, Guns, and Cars: The Semiotics of Rugged Individualism." Journal of Advertising (Spring 2003). September 24, 2006. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3694/is_200304/ai_n9201367.
- Pennington, Robert. "Brands as the Language of Consumer Culture." Global Competitiveness (2000, January 1). http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-78789559.html.
Cite this Term Paper:
Symbols and Emotions in Advertising (2007, November 09) Retrieved May 29, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/symbols-and-emotions-in-advertising-99477/
"Symbols and Emotions in Advertising" 09 November 2007. Web. 29 May. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/symbols-and-emotions-in-advertising-99477/>