Suicide by Cop - The Police and Suicidal Offenders
An examination of situations in which police officers use deadly force toward an offender who actually wants to commit suicide.
# 119306 | 1,550 words | 6 sources | APA | 2010 |
Published on Apr 16, 2010 in Criminology (Criminal Justice and Corrections) , Criminology (Organized Crime Studies) , Criminology (Public and Crime) , Criminology (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper sympathetically examines a growing problem in the law enforcement community known as "suicide by cop." These are instances in which a disturbed person knows that his actions will result in being killed by a police officer, and that is the purpose of his actions. The author explores how this phenomenon is being dealt with in the United States, and also comments on the difficulty of collecting statistical data on suicide by cop. Also discussed is a typical profile of an individual seeking to end his life this way. The paper details a police officer's psychological experiences following one of these incidents.
From the Paper:"It may also seem to the suicidal offender that police officers will not take much time to decide whether or not to use deadly force, and will act as they are trained and will not take the event personally. This individual is determined on self-destruction and will engage in a life-threatening criminal act in order to force a police officer to kill them. Therefore, all the way around, suicide by cop is a means to end one's life using trained officers who will do the job efficiently. The act will go down as a tragic event, but not as tragic as it would have been if the person had used the gun on himself."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Brubaker, Larry C. (2002). Deadly Force. FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin. 71(4), 6-14. Retrieved April 7, 2006, from EBSCOhost.
- Burke, Tod & Rigsby, Rhonda (1999). Suicide by cop revisited. Law & Order. 47(6), 97-103. Retrieved April 7, 2006, from Proquest.
- Kennedy, Daniel B., Robert J. Homant & Thomas R. Hupp (1998). Suicide by cop. FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin. 67(8), 21-28. Retrieved April 7, 2006, from EBSCOhost.
- Pinizzotto, Anthony J. & Edward F. Davis (1999). Suicide by cop. Law & Order. 47(12), 95-99. Retrieved April 7, 2006, from Proquest.
- Pinizzotto, Anthony J., Edward F. Davis & Charles E, Miller III. (2005). Suicide by Cop: Defining a devastating Dilemma. FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin. 74(2), 8-21. Retrieved April 7, 2006, from Proquest.
Cite this Term Paper:
Suicide by Cop - The Police and Suicidal Offenders (2010, April 16) Retrieved September 19, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/suicide-by-cop-the-police-and-suicidal-offenders-119306/
"Suicide by Cop - The Police and Suicidal Offenders" 16 April 2010. Web. 19 September. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/suicide-by-cop-the-police-and-suicidal-offenders-119306/>