Socialization of Children in US Orphanages or Institutions
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the process of socialization - an essential process in the lives of young children, focusing on children in institutionalized care. It looks at how the socialization process for children in foster homes, orphanages and other institutions presents a different set of socialization issues and variables. The author describes some reports that have been carried out and finishes with the conclusion that the family is still a very important agent of healthy socialization.
From the Paper:"Socialization is the process of imbibing the norms, value and social patterns of a particular society. It is also closely linked to the concept of individual and personal development. Socialization is seen as an essential process in the lives of the young child and adult in that it is an essential process of learning and adaptation necessary for social and psychological well-being and survival.
"The family and socialization are terms that are often linked in terms of their sociological nature and function. The family is in most societies the area or the social structure where the child is socialized and where he or she learns the norms and mores of that particular social environment and culture. Notwithstanding the recent sociological concern about the demise of the family structure in developed countries like United States, the family is still generally seen as the centre of the socialization process."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Developmental Issues for Young Children in Foster Care. PEDIATRICS Vol. 106 No. 5 November 2000, pp. 1145-1150. November 6, 2007. <http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;106/5/1145
- Key Themes in the History of Motherhood and Fatherhood. November 6, 2007. <http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/historyonline/mothersfathers.cfm>
- Harden B, J. Safety and Stability for Foster Children: A Developmental Perspective. November 6, 2007. <http://www.futureofchildren.org/usr_doc/3-harden.pdf>
- State of foster care in America Talk of the Nation (NPR). November 6, 2007. (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1 46275026.html>
- Socialization. November 6, 2007. <http://www.answers.com/topic/socialization>
Cite this Term Paper:
Socialization of Children in US Orphanages or Institutions (2008, July 23) Retrieved October 21, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/socialization-of-children-in-us-orphanages-or-institutions-106038/
"Socialization of Children in US Orphanages or Institutions" 23 July 2008. Web. 21 October. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/socialization-of-children-in-us-orphanages-or-institutions-106038/>