Smoking and Teenage Pregnancy Term Paper by Nicky
A look at the benefits of a multidisciplinary approach to helping a pregnant teenager who smokes.
# 150046 | 866 words | 6 sources | APA | 2012 |
Published on Jan 23, 2012 in Medical and Health (Public Health Issues) , Child, Youth Issues (Teen, Adult Issues) , Women Studies (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses the multidisciplinary team approach to treating a pregnant teenager who smokes a pack of cigarettes a day. The paper describes how this approach would help address the challenges that a young pregnant teenager may face and thus encourage her to quit smoking. The paper also looks at the Johns Hopkins University (JHU) School of Nursing Student Birth Companions (SBC) program that provides free doula care. The paper emphasizes how early, ongoing prenatal care that provides education and support to young mothers plays an important role in preventing preterm birth, low birth weight and infant mortality.
From the Paper:"Medical difficulties that are associated with adolescent pregnancy include poor maternal weight gain, anemia, and pregnancy-induced hypertension. These complications seem to be the greatest for those who are very young. Poverty, lack of education, and inadequate family support appear to contribute to a lack of adequate prenatal care. This is seen as accounting for the majority of negative health outcomes for the adolescent mother and her child. There is increasing evidence that pregnant adolescents are at increased risk for domestic violence. Younger mothers are more likely to be single parents and to receive no prenatal care or care only at the end of their pregnancies. These mothers are also less likely to finish high school (American Academy of Pediatrics: Care of Adolescent Parents and Their Children, 2001).
"In an effort to provide efficient and effective care to patients the U.S. healthcare system has done a lot to redesign its delivery system. Developing an approach to meet the high demands of patients and to best utilize resources has become a necessity. The result is the common use of what is called a multidisciplinary team approach. This approach provides better care than the old way when it just involved the doctor and patient. When properly put into practice, a multidisciplinary team approach results in positive outcomes. "With a diverse group of healthcare professionals, such as physicians, nurses, pharmacists, dieticians, and health educators, social service and mental health providers there is more certainty that all of the needs of the patient will be met" (Veronica, 2007). The most important member of the multidisciplinary team is the patient themselves. They are at the center of the team. This approach is a good example of holistic health care (Veronica, 2007)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Care of Adolescent Parents and Their Children. (2001). Pediatrics, 107(2), 429-434.
- Shetty, Anisha. (2009). Adolescent Update: The Teen Pregnancy Center. Retrieved September 8, 2009, from Children's Hospital St. Louis Web site: https://www.stlouischildrens.org/content/AdolescentUpdateTheTeenPregnancyCenter.ht m
- The Birth Companions Program. (n.d.). Retrieved September 8, 2009, from Leading Healthy Communities Web site: http://www.leadinghealthycommunities.com/case- studies/19990001.jsp
- Teenage pregnancy. (n.d.). Retrieved September 8, 2009, from Web site: http://www.in- practice.org/SexualHealth/downloads/PNA_Comm_Teenagers_download_pregnancy_F AQ.pdf
- Van Wheel, Chris. (2007). Adjusted tobacco legislation and accompanying actions for the benefit of future children of women smokers. Retrieved September 8, 2009, from BioInfoBank Library Web site: http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:18074721
Cite this Term Paper:
Smoking and Teenage Pregnancy (2012, January 23) Retrieved May 27, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/smoking-and-teenage-pregnancy-150046/
"Smoking and Teenage Pregnancy" 23 January 2012. Web. 27 May. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/smoking-and-teenage-pregnancy-150046/>