Sexuality of Hermaphrodites
This essay explores the social view of hermaphrodites as well as sexual attraction and identity within the hermaphrodite community.
# 128942 | 2,413 words | 8 sources | MLA | 2010 |
Published on Aug 18, 2010 in Psychology (Physiological) , Gender and Sexuality (Gender Studies) , Gender and Sexuality (Theories of Gender)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This essay discusses issues faced by hermaphrodites in society. The paper defines hermaphroditism, offers an overview of how the condition is viewed and treated by the medical community and explores the physiological aspects of the condition. It also explores issues of sexual attraction and sexual identity. The paper finds that while there is confusion in society about how to label the intersexed person, more often than not there is no confusion in the mind of the intersexed person as to whom they are attracted which indicates that a large part of attraction is mentally, not just physically, determined.
From the Paper:"For intersex individuals, sexual identity and attraction hinges upon self-perception. "Most of us take for granted a harmony between our biological sex and our psychological experience of being female or male, our gender identity. We just are women and men, and the relative effortlessness of this identity can lead us to reify a simple, dichotomous view of gender. People are meant to be either female or male, both physically and psychologically," (Looy and Bouma III 172) . From ancient history, we know that hermaphrodites have been both a symbolic and very real element of sexual life."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Dreger, Alice Dormurat. Hermaphrodites and the Medical Invention of Sex. Boston: Harvard University Press, 2000.
- Ellis, Albert. "The Sexual Psychology of Human Hermaphrodites." Psychosomatic Medicine 7 (1945): 108-125.
- Gilbert, Scott F. Hermaphroditism. 2008. 18 Nov 2008 <http://8e.devbio.com/article.php?id=175&search=hermaphroditism>.
- Haft-Pomrock, Yael. "Is it the Age of the Hermaphrodite?" Oct 2002. MHPublications.com. 18 Nov 2008 <http://www.mhpublications.com/Hermaphrodite.htm>.
- Intersex Society of North America. What's the History Behind the Intersex Rights Movement? 18 Nov 2008. 18 Nov 2008 <http://www.isna.org/faq/history>.
Cite this Term Paper:
Sexuality of Hermaphrodites (2010, August 18) Retrieved July 09, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/sexuality-of-hermaphrodites-128942/
"Sexuality of Hermaphrodites" 18 August 2010. Web. 09 July. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/sexuality-of-hermaphrodites-128942/>