Settlement of North America
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper first explains that the two colonial powers England and Spain that had been colonizing the Americas were joined by France, who eventually held Canada and almost everything else west of the Appalachian Mountains to the Mississippi River and beyond. The paper then describes the 1701 Grand Settlement treaty and the 1713 Treaty of Utretch, both of which gave Britain a considerable edge in the battle for control of North America. After describing the comparative strengths and weaknesses of England and France in their continuing conflict while settling North America, the paper concludes that the two powers' struggles ended in 1763 with the Treaty of Paris, which gave Britain Canada and much of New France.
From the Paper:"British weaknesses involved the size of the colonies. While the land, which England, held was smaller than that of France, it had a great deal more colonialists, thus leading to competition for land, and internal struggles. Forts were limited in strength and were vulnerable - there were not enough soldiers for the territory. This enabled the French to attack their settlements without fear: the 1704 attack on Deerfield, for example, where the French burned homes, and forced more than 100 citizens, including women and children, to march to Montreal, around 300 miles away."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Charlevoix, Francois-Xavier de (1744) Historie et description generale de la Nouvelle France National Humanities Center www.nhc.rtp.nc.us:8080/pds/pds.htm
- Constitutional Rights Foundation (2001) "Clash of Empires: The fight for North America" http://www.crf-usa.org/bria/bria17_4.htm
- Keegan, Katelyn C. (2006) "The French and Indian War" http://www.american.edu/TED/ice/french-indian.htm
- McFarlane, Anthony (1994) The British in The Americas 1480-1815 Longman, New York
- National Humanities Center (2006) "Imperial Rivalry III: France and England in the North East" http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/.pds/amerbegin/power/text3/text3read.htm
Cite this Term Paper:
Settlement of North America (2009, December 24) Retrieved June 04, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/settlement-of-north-america-117911/
"Settlement of North America" 24 December 2009. Web. 04 June. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/settlement-of-north-america-117911/>