$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper presents a literature review of various instructors' perceptions of self-directed learning, specifically focusing on foreign language teaching and learning at the university level. The paper includes a review of teaching strategies, learning theories and how self-directed learning is viewed by instructors in this field.
From the Paper:"This theory of a self-directed learning community suggests that unique synaptic connections are created when learners take control of the teaching as well as the reception of knowledge. Foreign language teacher's perceptions have inevitably been affected by this new emphasis on self-directed learning, causing a shift from seeing the student as the receptor of knowledge to an active participant in creating his or her knowledge. As noted by Ormond (2000), there has been a considerable debate between individual instructors who see learning as innate versus as imposed upon by the outside. While foreign language learning might seem to be obviously 'learned' and taught by an instructor, self-directed learning taps upon the way that learning is achieved even on a first-language basis, through interaction and discovery."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Beach, Leslie R. (Apr., 1974). "Self-directed student groups and college learning."Higher Education, 3. (2), 187-199.
- Guglielmino, Paul J. Lucy M. Guglielmino, & Huey B. Long. (1987). "Self-directed learning readiness and performance in the workplace: Implications for business, industry, and higher education." Higher Education, 16 (3) 303-317.
- Hiemstra, R. (1994). "Self-directed learning." In T. Husen & T. N. Postlethwaite (Eds.), The International Encyclopedia of Education. 2nd edition. Oxford: Pergamon Press. Reprinted excerpt 23 Jul 2008 athttp://home.twcny.rr.com/hiemstra/sdlhdbk.html
- Hughes, Kim, & Wilhelm Source. (Winter, 1997). "Sometimes kicking and screaming: Languageteachers-in-training react to a collaborative learning model." Modern Language Journal. 81 (4), 527 -542.
- Jahn, Jurgen. (Sep. - Oct., 1979). "Self-motivated and self-directed second language learner:Heinrich Schliemann." The Modern Language Journal. 63 (5/6), 273-276.
Cite this Term Paper:
Self-Directed Learning (2009, March 29) Retrieved May 08, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/self-directed-learning-113352/
"Self-Directed Learning" 29 March 2009. Web. 08 May. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/self-directed-learning-113352/>