Protection of Transgender Rights
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses transgender inssues in the United States. It specifically focuses on transgender rights and their protection in the workplace. The paper discusses the laws that have been passed to protect transgender individuals and how the laws have evolved over the past ten years. Particular attention is paid to the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
From the Paper:" Many organizations have fought to pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) which would protect individuals in the work place from being discriminated against based on sexual identity. This bill has been presented in congress and it still needs more time and support to be passed. Within the effort of passing this bill there has been a division between organizations that are fighting for the rights of GLBT individuals. In order to pass this bill and bring full protection to all individuals from employment discrimination, a coalition between organizations that stand for gay and transgender civil rights must take place. One of the biggest issues dividing these organizations is the inclusion of transgender citizens under the protection of ENDA. Last year the Human rights Campaign, one of the biggest representatives of GLBT rights made an effort to pass ENDA while excluding transgender individuals. The reasoning behind this, as explained by HRC campaign was that if transgender citizens were excluded from the bill people in congress would more likely pass the bill. This action taken by the HRC still remains clear in their objectives to pass the bill in 2009. In order to bring full equality to all citizens including transgender individuals all organizations fighting for gay and transgender civil rights must come together and fight for the passing of a bill that includes everyone that is not represented."
Sample of Sources Used:
- "fighting for transgender rights". Contemporary Sexuality Vol. 42, No. 11 (2008): 1-9.
- Chen-Hayes, Stuart F. "Counseling and Advocacy With Transgendered and Gender-Variant Persons in Schools and Families". Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education & Development; Spring2001, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p34-49, 15p
- Currah, Paisley. "The Transgender Rights Imaginary." The Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law Vol. 4(2003): Issue 2, p705-721, 17p
- Gehman, Andrea Gray, Veronica D. "SEXUALITY AND TRANSGENDER ISSUES IN EMPLOYMENT". The Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law 2005, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p575-596, 22p
- www.nctequality.org. Ed. Justin Tanis. National Center for Gender Equality. http://www.nctequality.org/index.html
Cite this Term Paper:
Protection of Transgender Rights (2009, May 24) Retrieved September 26, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/protection-of-transgender-rights-113999/
"Protection of Transgender Rights" 24 May 2009. Web. 26 September. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/protection-of-transgender-rights-113999/>