The paper discusses the Peace bridge and looks at the proposal of a new additional bridge.
# 99982 | 2,152 words | 6 sources | MLA | 2007 |
Published on Dec 09, 2007 in Architecture (Buildings) , Engineering (Construction) , Canadian Studies (Misc.) , Political Science (General) , Economics (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this article, the writer explains that the Peace Bridge spans the Niagara River and links the cities of Fort Erie, Ontario and Buffalo, New York. The writer points out that this bridge is considered a critical link for cross-border commercial traffic with considerable economic significance for the region. The paper explains that the bridge was built in 1927, has three traffic lanes and sidewalks, and has been well-maintained so it is in excellent condition. The writer points out that the proposal to construct a new bridge that would cross the river is not due to damage to the existing bridge but to the limited capacity of the roadways on the bridge.
From the Paper:"Someone designed the highway, while no one designed the space under the bridge. Such extra spaces are often created with such large-scale projects. This space is not likely to be useful in the current project to add three lanes of traffic to the existing bridge, though a more useful design for this space could be included at the same time to improve the area."
"The current bridge is a 3,600-foot steel truss built in 1927. The bridge is made up of five arched spans crossing the Niagara River, with an added through-truss span crossing the Black Rock Canal on the American side. The bridge was built of tons of steelwork and concrete abutments to hold it. The bridge was built to relieve traffic on the International Railway Bridge erected in 1873. The construction had to overcome the swift river current in that area, running at about twelve miles per hour. It is hoped that an addition to the bridge can increase traffic by one-third."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Chen, David W. "Border War Over the Peace Bridge." New York Times (27 April 1999), B1.
- "End the Bridge Debate." Business First of Buffalo (26 March 1999), B1.
- "Peace Bridge Design Selection Jury Recommends Two-Tower Cable Stay Companion Bridge Design." Peace Bridge Expansion Project (2006). October 22, 2006. http://www.peacebridgex.com/whatsnew.asp.
- "Recommended Bridge Design." Peace Bridge Expansion Project (2006). October 22, 2006. http://www.peacebridgex.com/yourinput_details.asp?conceptID=6.
- Schneekloth, Lynda H. "Unredeemably Utopian: Architecture and Making/unmaking the World." Utopian Studies, Volume 9, Issue 1 (1998). October 24, 2006. http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5001335566.
Cite this Term Paper:
Peace Bridge (2007, December 09) Retrieved August 06, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/peace-bridge-99982/
"Peace Bridge" 09 December 2007. Web. 06 August. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/peace-bridge-99982/>