Obesity in America
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the temptation of calorie-laden products, especially for busy and cash-strapped families who rely on take-out food for family dinners. The paper provides statistics on the economic impact of obesity and then explores what the federal government can do to reduce the obesity problem. The paper suggests proper education, nutritious meals provided in schools, an increase of physical education, assistance to low-income families in purchasing proper foods and requiring restaurants to list the calorie contents of their menus.
From the Paper:"For years now, people- including medical specialists and dieticians have asked why so many Americans are overweight? Part of the problem has nothing to do with genes or physiological disorders. Many of us overeat because temptation is right there- in fast-food stores, in end-aisle snack displays in super-markets, in being couch potatoes, watching TV with beer or sodas and potato chips close at hand.. In short, Americans are overweight because we are tempted day in and day out by snack manufacturers who produce calorie-laden products many of us simply feel are too good to pass up."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Cutler, David, Glaeser, Edward, and Shapiro, Jesse: "Why Have Americans Become More Obese?" National Board of Economic Research NBER Working Paper No. 9446* Issued in January 2003, accessed June 3, 2008 onwww.nber.org/papers/9446
- "Economic Impact of Obesity" ObesityinAmerica.org , accessed June, 3, 2008 onwww.obesityinamerica.org/economicimpact.html
- Murphy, Mary: "The Super-sizing of America: Are Fast Food Chains to Blame for the Nation's Obesity?" SpeakOut.com, June 15, 2000 , accessed June 3, 2008 on www.speakout.com/activism/issue_briefs/1333b-1.html
- "National Survey: Majority of U.S. Parents Don't Enforce Good Health Habits in Their Household" PR Newswire, March 11, 2008
- "The Economics of Overweight and Obesity" accessed June 3, 2008 onwww.libraryindex.com/collection/10/Information-Plus-R-Reference-Series-Fall-2004.html
Cite this Term Paper:
Obesity in America (2009, December 25) Retrieved March 06, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/obesity-in-america-117958/
"Obesity in America" 25 December 2009. Web. 06 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/obesity-in-america-117958/>