Nature in the Literary Works of Pam Houston
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses the way in which contemporary Western author of fiction and nonfiction, Pam Houston, attempts to problematize the portrayal of the Old American West as a struggle of 'man versus nature.' The paper discusses themes that are present in Houston's work, as well as analyzing some of the language that she uses in order to put her themes across.
From the Paper:"Thus look at nature, and we often do not see nature, purely--rather we see only a piece of natures, as we only see ourselves reflected back at us, wild or tame, depending on our current state of mind. Because Houston embodies nature in the form of a horse, a living being, she is able to see past the mythology of the West, which objectifies nature as a landscape, rather than a living, evolving ecosystem. Nature is also a living environment that has its own needs, its own wildness, and often its own judgment of us. It may accept us, or throw us aside, to the ground."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Cary, Diana. (30 Dec 2005) "Horses and the Plains Indians." Wild West. Retrieved 4 Feb 2006 at http://www.americanwest.com/critters/gazette.htm
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo. (1836) "Nature." American Transcendentalism Web. Retrieved 4 Feb 2006 at http://www.vcu.edu/engweb/transcendentalism/authors/emerson/nature.html
- Houston, Pam. A Little More about Me. New York: WW. Norton, 1999.
- Dina Secchiaroli. (2004) "Debunking the Myth of the American West." Retrieved 4 Feb 2006 at http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/2001/4/01.04.10.x.html#d
- Reuben, Paul P. (2006) "PAL: Appendix L: The Frontier in American Literature." PAL: Perspectives in American Literature- A Research and Reference Guide. Retrieved 4 Feb 2006 at URL: http://www.csustan.edu/english/reuben/pal/append/axl.html
Cite this Term Paper:
Nature in the Literary Works of Pam Houston (2007, January 31) Retrieved May 31, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/nature-in-the-literary-works-of-pam-houston-91552/
"Nature in the Literary Works of Pam Houston" 31 January 2007. Web. 31 May. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/nature-in-the-literary-works-of-pam-houston-91552/>