My Leadership Theory
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The writer of the paper outlines leadership theories and relates his personal theory of leadership. The writer describes his current performance as a leader and how it is oriented. The writer also provides an action plan in three parts on how to improve his leadership.
From the Paper:"The study of leadership has been ongoing for centuries, but in modern times several theories have emerged that have become predominant leadership thought. One of these is situational leadership. This style combines elements of task behavior (direction), relationship behavior (socio-emotional support) and building a readiness level in followers such that each situation is met with excellence and responses that are unique to that situation (Schermerhorn, 2001). Another leadership theory is the contingency model, wherein a leader has both a natural leadership tendency and also a fit between the leader's tendencies and the situation. The best fit between these two elements will be the best leader (Fiedler, 1964).
"Another variant on contingency management theory is the Vroom-Yetton Model (1973), which expands on Feidler's contingency model but places emphasis on the way that the leader facilitates group action. Leaders can be manager-centered or group-centered, with the degree of freedom given the group dependent on the situation. In addition to these contingency-based models, there are other schools of leadership thought as well. Blake and Moulton (1964) developed the Managerial Grid Model, wherein leaders are determined based on a set of traits that they possess and their managerial style. Thus, managers can be categorized based on their concern for people and their concern for production. Their leadership abilities are essentially set by their leadership style, and are not based on contingencies (Enos, 2007)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Schermerhorn, John. (2001). Situational Leadership: Conversations with Paul Hersey. Ohio University. Retrieved August 1, 2009 from http://www.situational.com/PdfViewer.aspx?pdfPath=~/Pdf/Conversations_With_Paul_Hersey.pdf
- Fielder, Fred. (1964). A Contingency Model of Leadership Effectiveness. Academic Press, Burlington, MA.
- Vroom, VH & Yetton, PW. (1973). Leadership and Decision-Making. Yale University. Retrieved August 1, 2009 from http://www.lederne.dk/NR/rdonlyres/E8715858-DCEE-4355-88BB-B3E82FE7DA9B/0/18VictorVroom2.pdf
- Enos, Darryl D. (2007). Performance Improvement. CRC Press, p. 153
- Thomas, Greg L. (2001). What you need to know about Situational Leadersip. WeLEAD Online Magazine. Retrieved August 1, 2009 from http://www.leadingtoday.org/Onmag/2001%20Archives/august01/gt-august01.html
Cite this Term Paper:
My Leadership Theory (2011, December 23) Retrieved April 19, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/my-leadership-theory-149568/
"My Leadership Theory" 23 December 2011. Web. 19 April. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/my-leadership-theory-149568/>