Music and Technology
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses how in a world that is constantly developing technologically, it is inevitable that there will be changes to the way that music is created and indeed, listened to and its purposes. The paper briefly examines how methods of capturing sounds have changed with evolving technology as well as the changing mediums that are used to create music such as the electric guitar.
From the Paper:"Music and technology are something that have always gone hand-in-hand and as Jensen puts it, "popular music has been 'technologically based' since instruments were used to accompany the human voice" (1990). Almost every facet of creating music has evolved in some way over the years. People are constantly looking for new and improved ways of creating a certain sound and also certain sounds are created by the influence of new technologies. It is hard to determine which has more influence over the other, but in the same article, Jensen has also put forth the idea that technology and music are in fact mutually shifting together and should not be viewed as two separate "things"."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Callahan, M. (2005). The trouble with music. Oakland: AK Press.
- Foden, S., (2010). How has digital technology affected music? Retrieved from http://www.ehow.com/facts_6752508_digital-technology-affected-music_.html
- Hamman, M., (2002) From technical to technological: the imperative of technology in experimental music composition (critical essay). Perspectives of new music, 40 (1).
- Harper-Scott, J.P.E., & Samson J. (2009). An introduction to music studies. New York: Cambridge.
- Holmes, T. B. (2002). Electronic and experimental music: Foundations of new music and new listening. Retrieved from http://reader.eblib.com.au.libraryproxy.griffith.edu.au/(S(rwvb53ikezctcejb11xed1fs))/Reader.aspx
Cite this Term Paper:
Music and Technology (2011, June 21) Retrieved March 28, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/music-and-technology-147734/
"Music and Technology" 21 June 2011. Web. 28 March. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/music-and-technology-147734/>