Local Food and Health
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper examines the role of corporate entities in food production and distribution. The paper argues that we cannot discuss the human health aspects of local food production without critically addressing how the corporatization of food production and distribution has introduced numerous destabilizing health vectors in our food systems. The paper then shows how local food production is undeniably healthier than global food production and distribution.
From the Paper:"These "chemical stews" impact human bodies in numerous, and often unexpected, ways. Consider, for example, the contemporary health controversy over the excess use of antibiotics which - because of their widespread presence in the human population - have been losing their valuable potential as disease-fighting tools of our medical system. Studies have found that as much as 70 percent of the antibiotics present in our bodies today is present not from personal usage but indirectly through the consumption of animals who themselves have been excessively treated with antibiotics (Larsen 2007, p.21)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Jones, A. (2001). "Eating oil: Food supply in a changing climate." Sustain-Elm Farm Research Report.
- Larsen, E. (2007). "Happier Meals." Current Health 1, 30(6): 18-21.
- McGeary, J. (2007). Homestead politics: Corporate control of our food supply." Countryside and Small Stock Journal, 91(1): 52-54.
- Norberg-Hodge, H., Merrifeld, T., and Gorelick, S. (2002).Bringing the food economy home: Local alternatives to global agribusiness. Halifax, NS: Fernwood.
- Pirog, R. (2003). "Checking the food odometer: Comparing food miles for local versus conventional produce sales to Iowa institutions." Ames, Iowa: Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture.
Cite this Term Paper:
Local Food and Health (2008, March 27) Retrieved February 27, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/local-food-and-health-102522/
"Local Food and Health" 27 March 2008. Web. 27 February. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/local-food-and-health-102522/>