Leadership Style and Nursing
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses how leadership is still seen to be important in today's society. It looks at how one of the main forms of leadership now that is seen in 'standard' businesses and also in care-related businesses (or service businesses) such as nursing is transactional leadership. It also examines the growing importance of leadership styles to the nursing profession with an emphasis on mentoring.
From the Paper:"Many organizations that are public are involved with contracts as well as traditions and norms in various departments and therefore change most often occurs in these organizations because there are political trade-offs and much of the leadership that these organizations have is transactional (Lowe, Kroeck, & Sivasubraminiam, 1996). It has also been argued by various researchers that the most important function of bureaucracy is to replace the influence that individuals have with rules, policies, and procedures (House, Spangler, & Woycke, 1991; Pillai, 1995). Leader behaviors, however, are most often shaped and framed through the existence of organizational culture and the influence that it has on behavior (Ammeter, Douglas, Gardner, Hochwarter, & Ferris, 2002)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Ammeter, A. P., Douglas, C., Gardner, W. L., Hochwarter, W. A., & Ferris, G. R. (2002). Toward a political theory of leadership. Leadership Quarterly, 13(6), 751-796.
- Anderson, C. R. (1977). Locus of control, coping behaviors, and performance in a stress setting: A longitudinal study. Journal of Applied Psychology, 62(4), 446-451.
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press.
- Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1994). Multifactor leadership questionnaire for research. Palo Alto, CA: Mind Garden, Inc.
- Burns, T., & Stalker, G. M. (1961). The management of innovation. Chicago: Quadrangle Books.
Cite this Term Paper:
Leadership Style and Nursing (2007, October 07) Retrieved November 26, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/leadership-style-and-nursing-98611/
"Leadership Style and Nursing" 07 October 2007. Web. 26 November. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/leadership-style-and-nursing-98611/>