Justice Management in Canada
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses recent as well as traditional problems which plague Canadian police departments. The paper looks at how practices have changed so as to create a more supple, responsive and "fair" police services architecture. The paper then examines the challenges police culture will present in the future. The paper shows how progress has certainly been made, but more can still be done.
From the Paper:"To begin with, it is fairly evident that police leaders must take pro-active steps to mold (or re-mold) the organizational culture percolating below them insofar as concerns about the secretive and sometimes troubling nature of Canadian police culture have existed for a number of years. For example, in the middle 1970s, studies critical of Canadian police culture began to surface. One of the more notorious of these was a 1974 paper contributed to the Fourth International Symposium of Comparative Criminology, held in Montreal, Quebec. In this study, much mention was made of police sub-cultures which privileged solidarity, possessed a suspicious, paranoid mind-set, a moral conservatism and right-wing political views."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Alain, Marc. (2004). Une Mesure de la propension des policiers Quebecois a denouncer des comportements derogatories, elements de culture.... Deviance et Societe, 28(1): 3-31.
- Braiden, C. (1994). Policing: From the Belly of the Whale. In R.C. MacLeod & David Schneiderman (eds.), Police Powers in Canada: The Evolution & Practice of Authority. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Buckner, T., & Christie, N. (1974). Police & Culture. In D. Szabo (ed.), Police Culture & Society. Montreal: Presses de L'Universite de Montreal.
- Crawford-Dickinson, Kristopher. (2004, May1). Cleaning up the force. Toronto Star, p.H07.
- Ellis, R.T. (1991). Perceptions, attitudes, and beliefs of police recruits. Canadian Police College Journal, 15(2): 95-117.
Cite this Term Paper:
Justice Management in Canada (2008, March 24) Retrieved October 05, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/justice-management-in-canada-102379/
"Justice Management in Canada" 24 March 2008. Web. 05 October. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/justice-management-in-canada-102379/>