Jews in Present-Day Germany
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper looks briefly at the subtle and not-so-subtle hostilities and threats that confront Jews in present-day Germany. The paper argues that Germany's Jews may be about to see a return to the intolerance and viciousness of the middle-twentieth century. The paper discusses government policies in areas like immigration and education and the impact of a steady rise of the Muslim population in Germany.
From the Paper:"In closing, it is evident that many problems still bedevil German Jewry. For one thing, while there has been a superficial effort on the part of the German government to embrace Jews, this has occurred within a social and demographic context that suggests German Jewry will soon enough find itself targeted once again by hate-mongers and demagogues. Chiefly, even as German Jews must grapple still with a lingering sense of defeatism, they are now finding themselves surrounded by a less sympathetic German populace that is increasingly Muslim. While this does not have to lead to tragedy, the history of Germany suggests that Jews living in contemporary Berlin and other urban centers had best aware."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Katz, Leslie. "Jews in Germany Today: Photos Show Sharp Contradictions." Jewish New Weekly. 13 Jun. 1997. Jewish News Weekly of Northern California. 29 Oct. 2006 <http://www.jewishsf.com/content/2-0-/module/displaystory/story_id/6413/edition_id/119/format/html/displaystory.html>
- Michel, Andreas. "Heroes and Taboos: The Expansion of Memory in Contemporary Germany." War, Literature & the Arts, 17.1/2 (2005): 58-73.
- Pearse, Emma. "Germany in Angst over Low Birthrate." Women's e-news. 11 Apr. 2005. Women's e-news, Inc. 29 Oct. 2006 <http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/2253>
- Pew Research Center. "The Great Divide: How Westerners and Muslims View Each Other." Pew Global Attitudes Project. 22 Jun. 2006. Pew Research Center. 29 Oct. 2006 <http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?PageID=831>
- Robinson, James. "Germany Today for Junior Journalists." Institut fer Auslandbeziehungen. 2002. IFA: Institut fer Auslandbeziehungen. 29 Oct. 2006 <http://www.ifa.de/journal/rep2001_robinson.htm>
Cite this Term Paper:
Jews in Present-Day Germany (2007, December 13) Retrieved December 15, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/jews-in-present-day-germany-100071/
"Jews in Present-Day Germany" 13 December 2007. Web. 15 December. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/jews-in-present-day-germany-100071/>