Jaime Escalante: Teacher Extraordinaire
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper presents a biography of Jaime Escalante and describes how his perseverance, ideals and work ethic enabled him to succeed both in his personal life and in his chosen career as teacher. The author then contrasts the way in which Escalante became an inspiring and successful teacher by transcending language and cultural barriers with the refusal of many current Latino immigrants to learn English and the consequent trend in major American metropolitan areas to provide Spanish-speaking services for them.
From the Paper:"Currently the United States is experiencing a major influx of Latino immigrants, many illegal, that do not have the fortitude or the tenacity of Jaime Escalante. If each immigrant were to espouse the ideals and work ethic of Escalante, the controversy would surely diminish as such individuals, immigrants and otherwise, are sorely needed in many industries in the United States. It seems they broke the mold when they made Jaime Escalante and many teachers now teaching in tough, urban areas would do well to follow his excellent example of treating students with respect, pride, and care no matter what their economic, racial, or social background may be."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Elias, Thomas D. "California Cities Add Interpreters to Staffs: Critics Fear Latinos Won't Learn English." The Washington Times 22 August 1999: 5.
- Garland, Eric. "Latinos in America's Cultural Laboratory: Immigrating for Diverse Reasons, Latinos Complicate U.S. Policy Choices." The Futurist January-February 2007: 18-19.
- Gorman, Anna, and Pierson, David. "The State; Not at Home With English; A New Census Report Says 43% in the State and 53% in L.A. Speak a Different Language in Their Private Lives." Los Angeles Times 13 September 2007: A1.
- Gramann, James H., and Shaull, Sandra L. "The Effect of Cultural Assimilation on the Importance of Family-Related and Nature-Related Recreation Among Hispanic Americans." Journal of Leisure Research 30.1 (1998): 47-51.
- Jacoby, Tamar. "Too Many Immigrants?" Commentary April 2002: 37-41.
Cite this Term Paper:
Jaime Escalante: Teacher Extraordinaire (2008, July 03) Retrieved March 28, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/jaime-escalante-teacher-extraordinaire-105289/
"Jaime Escalante: Teacher Extraordinaire" 03 July 2008. Web. 28 March. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/jaime-escalante-teacher-extraordinaire-105289/>