Intelligence Community Reforms
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses how identifying and analyzing the 9/11 Commission's comprehensive recommendations for reforming the intelligence community indicates that the Commission was justifiably and deeply concerned about the failure of America's intelligence community to prevent the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington D.C. It looks at how these concerns have led to the implementation of intelligence community reforms which are analyzed throughout the paper.
From the Paper:"Comparing and contrasting the 9/11 Commission recommendations with the IRTPA reveals that the IRTPA will improve the FBI's capabilities against international terrorism by enacting into law the 9-11 Commission's recommendations regarding FBI reforms relevant to counterterrorism. These capabilities were expanded because the 9-11 Commission determined that although the FBI had significantly improved its counterterrorism capabilities between 2001 and 2004, further improvement was necessary, particularly in FBI field offices, "for language and surveillance specialists were not well integrated into the FBI's intelligence program, and that analysts were sometimes underutilized." (Jacobson, 2004) "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Benson, Pam and Kevin Bohn. October 20, 2005. FBI slammed for fighting 9/11 reforms. CNN.
- Colleen Rowley's memo to FBI director Robert Mueller. May 21, 2002. Time.
- Cumming, Alfred and Todd Masse. April 6, 2004. FBI intelligence reform since September 11, 2001: Issues and options for Congress. Available from the Internet, http://www.fas.org/irp/crs/RL32336.html#_1_3, accessed 9 August 2007.
- Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. 2007. FinCEN. Available from the Internet, http://www.fincen.gov/, accessed 9 August 2007.
- Grier, Peter and Faye Bowers. August 20, 2004. Intelligence reforms hit resistance. The Christian Science Monitor.
Cite this Term Paper:
Intelligence Community Reforms (2008, June 29) Retrieved February 28, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/intelligence-community-reforms-105090/
"Intelligence Community Reforms" 29 June 2008. Web. 28 February. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/intelligence-community-reforms-105090/>