Implications of Teen Pregnancies
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the rate of teen pregnancy is the United States. The paper first discusses how the rate is decreasing over time, however there remains a high level risk and cost involved in these teen pregnancies. The paper then discusses the economic impact of teen pregnancies, as well as the social implications for the mother. IN addition, the paper briefly discusses the risks for the children of a single mothers.
From the Paper:"The children of teen mothers are also at risk as well. Physically, they suffer from lower birth weights than the national average, which not only doubles the chances of dyslexia and hyperactivity but also has the affiliated potential for chronic respiratory problems and learning impairments, to name but two secondary concerns. Moreover, each low-birth weight baby averages $20,000 in hospital costs; total lifetime medical expenses for such children can average $400,000. Socially, the children of teenage mothers are at greater risk to perform poorly in school and to risk physical or emotional abuse at some points in their lives; the sons of teen mothers are 13 percent more likely than their peers to run afoul of the law, while the daughters of teen mothers are 22 percent more likely than their peers to become pregnant while still in her teens."
Sample of Sources Used:
- "Births: Final Data for 2003." National Center for Health Statistics. Retrieved 11 March, 2006: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr54/nvsr54_02.pdf
- "Children of Teen Mothers." State Legislatures 31.9 (Oct/Nov2005). Retrieved 11 March 2006, fromAcademic Search Premier: <http://web103.epnet.com/citation.asp?tb=1&_ug=sid+B0CA5644%2D6636%2D4AD0%2D9E2E%2D1EA904E1CC01%40sessionmgr5+dbs+aph+cp+1+9F98&_us=sel+False+ss+SO+sl+0+hd+False+hs+True+cst+0%3B1%3B2%3B3+or+Date+fh+False+frn+1+sm+ES+mdbs+aph+dstb+ES+mh+1+ri+KAAAGEBB00061903+8F46&_uso=hd+False+tg%5B2+%2D+tg%5B1+%2D+tg%5B0+%2D+st%5B2+%2D+st%5B1+%2D+st%5B0+%2Dteen++mothers+db%5B0+%2Daph+op%5B2+%2DAnd+op%5B1+%2DAnd+op%5B0+%2D+mdb%5B0+%2Dimh+97D1&cf=1&fn=1&rn=7>
- "Unintended and Teen Pregnancy Prevention: Teen Pregnancy." Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved 11 March, 2006: <http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/UnintendedPregnancy/Teen.htm>
- The National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. < http://www.teenpregnancy.org/>
- Higginson, Joanna. "Competitive Parenting: The Culture of Teen Mothers." Journal of Marriage & Family 60 (1998). Retrieved 11 March 2006, from Academic Search Premier: <http://web103.epnet.com/citation.asp?tb=1&_ug=sid+B0CA5644%2D6636%2D4AD0%2D9E2E%2D1EA904E1CC01%40sessionmgr5+dbs+aph+cp+1+9F98&_us=mh+1+hd+False+hs+True+cst+0%3B1%3B2%3B3+or+Date+mdbs+aph+fh+False+ss+SO+sm+ES+sl+0+ri+KAAAGEBB00061903+dstb+ES+sel+False+frn+51+D12D&_uso=hd+False+tg%5B2+%2D+tg%5B1+%2D+tg%5B0+%2D+st%5B2+%2D+st%5B1+%2D+st%5B0+%2Dteen++mothers+db%5B0+%2Daph+op%5B2+%2DAnd+op%5B1+%2DAnd+op%5B0+%2D+mdb%5B0+%2Dimh+97D1&cf=1&fn=51&rn=69>
Cite this Term Paper:
Implications of Teen Pregnancies (2009, November 30) Retrieved July 04, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/implications-of-teen-pregnancies-117400/
"Implications of Teen Pregnancies" 30 November 2009. Web. 04 July. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/implications-of-teen-pregnancies-117400/>