How Prostitution was Viewed and Handled in Early Society
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper assess the degree to which prostitution was viewed as a crime in early modern Europe and offers an examination as to how authorities dealt with the issue. In line with the outline provided, the paper also shows that the position adopted by authorities towards prostitution altered significantly over a period of centuries.
From the Paper:''The common adage invariably proffered in relation to prostitution is that it is the world oldest profession. Historically supporting such an assertion is somewhat irksome; however, there is little doubt that prostitution has been a consistent presence ever since the early developments of human societal processes. The degree to which prostitution has been conceptualised by wider society has differed substantially depending on the historical epoch in question. As such, sentiments and attitudes towards prostitution alter depending on the context and time in which they are placed.''
Sample of Sources Used:
- Brock, Rita Nakashima. Casting Stones: Prostitution and Liberation in Asia and the United States, New York: Augsburg Fortress, 1996.
- Hufton, Olwen, H. The Prospect Before Her: 1500-1800, New York: Alfred Knopf, 1996.
- Roberts, Nickie. Whores in History: prostitution in western society, London: Harper Collins, 1992.
- Paley, William. The Principles of Moral and Political Philosophy, London: West and Richardson, 1815.
- Perry, Mary Elizabeth. "Deviant Insiders: legalised prostitutes and a consciousness of women in early modern Seville", Comparative Studies in Society and History, 27 (1), (Jan, 1985), pp. 138-158.
Cite this Term Paper:
How Prostitution was Viewed and Handled in Early Society (2011, March 24) Retrieved February 02, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/how-prostitution-was-viewed-and-handled-in-early-society-147352/
"How Prostitution was Viewed and Handled in Early Society" 24 March 2011. Web. 02 February. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/how-prostitution-was-viewed-and-handled-in-early-society-147352/>