$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses the work of The Homeland Security Department - the specific federal agency charged with coordinating all manner of security measures to fight terrorism and to address other broad-based threats to public safety. The author reveals that the effectiveness of the strategy for homeland security is a matter for discussion, and how effective it has been is a matter of some controversy.
From the Paper:"The impetus for the passage of the law and for the creation of the Homeland Security Department was the same, that being the 9-11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in 2001. The term "homeland security" became w3idely known after that event, and the phrase served as a symbol and a goal, the preservation of the security of the homeland. Homeland security then became a policy concept, leading to the decision by President George W. Bush to release his National Strategy for Homeland Security on July 15, 2002. At that time, the concept was defined as "a concerted national effort to prevent terrorist attacks within the United States, reduce America's vulnerability to terrorism, and minimize the damage and recover from attacks that do occur."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Etzioni, Amitai . How Patriotic Is the Patriot Act? Freedom versus Security in the Age of Terrorism. New York: Routledge, 2004.
- Haynes, Wendy. "Seeing Around Corners: Crafting the New Department of Homeland Security." The Review of Policy Research (May 1, 2004). April 29, 2007. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-116859677.html.
- Martin, John R. Defeating Terrorism: Strategic Issue Analyses. Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania: Strategic Studies Institute, 2002.
- Relyea, Harold C. "Organizing for Homeland Security." Presidential Studies Quarterly, Volume 33, Issue 3 (2003), http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5002026799.
- "The PATRIOT Act." Patriotactsummary.doc (2001). April 30, 2007. http://www.american.edu/counsel/pages/pdf/patriot_act_summary.pdf.
Cite this Term Paper:
Homeland Security (2008, May 30) Retrieved September 20, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/homeland-security-103984/
"Homeland Security" 30 May 2008. Web. 20 September. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/homeland-security-103984/>
- Just what I was looking for.