HIPAA Privacy Rule
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper examines HIPAA and outlines some of its effects on both consumers and health care facilities known as "covered entities". The paper explains how individual rights are limited and covered entities can release information for a wide range of non-medical purposes. The paper also discusses how covered entities must develop and implement written privacy policies and are responsible for training staff on the proper handling of protected health information.
From the Paper:"One of the aspects of recordkeeping that HIPAA was designed to improve was patient access. Prior to HIPAA, states set their own procedures for the release of information (ROI). HIPAA was the first attempt to set a national standard for the release of PHI. This was done in part to stem the tide of medical identity theft. As result, patients only enjoy limited control over their health records.
"One right they do have under HIPAA, however, is access to their own records. HIPAA specifically allows for individuals to gather their own health care information, and information about their family medical history (OCR, 2009)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Office for Civil Rights: Health Information Privacy. Retrieved April 2, 2009 from http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/index.html
- No author. (2003). What is HIPAA? HIPAAps.com. Retrieved April 2, 2009 from http://www.hipaaps.com/main/background.html
- Francis, Theo (2006). Spread of Records Stirs Fear of Privacy Erosion. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved April 2, 2009 from http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06362/749444-114.stm
- Office for Civil Rights: HIPAA Privacy Rule FAQ. Retrieved April 2, 2009 from http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/familyhealthhistoryfaqs.pdf
- Office for Civil Rights: Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule. (2003) Retrieved April 2, 2009 from http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/privacysummary.pdf
Cite this Term Paper:
HIPAA Privacy Rule (2011, January 19) Retrieved August 15, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/hipaa-privacy-rule-146855/
"HIPAA Privacy Rule" 19 January 2011. Web. 15 August. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/hipaa-privacy-rule-146855/>