Herman B. Wells' Dedication to Indiana University
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper outlines the upbringing of Herman B. Wells and his college years at Indiana University. The paper discusses his appointment as President of the university and his achievements in this capacity, and then notes his appointment as University Chancellor. The paper then describes how athough Wells has been dead for approximately one decade, his memory and influence is still extremely noticeable at Indiana University. This author also posits that Wells will always be remembered for his great desire for excellence in education in Indiana University.
From the Paper:"As a student at IU, Wells found himself involved with a variety of activities on his new campus. During his time as a student, Herman joined the Sigma Nu Fraternity where during his senior year, served as the chapter president and played in the IU band (Simpson). Herman graduated from Indiana University with his business and economics degree in 1924 (Capshew). In Being Lucky, his autobiography, Wells wrote: "From the very beginning, I fell in love with Indiana University," and that love for the university motivated him to pursue his masters degree at Indiana University. In 1927, he was awarded his masters degree in economics. After achieving his masters degree, he continued his education at the University of Wisconsin for a Ph.D in economics. Wells would not complete his Ph.D at the University of Wisconsin as he returned to Indiana to work as a field secretary for the Indiana Bankers Association from 1928 to 1931 (Simpson). This experience in banking directly led to the opportunity for him to teach at the college level.
"Wells' background in banking made him a very practical choice for an economics professor at Indiana University. Aside from his academic demands, Wells still held other jobs."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Capshew, James H. "Alma Pater: Herman B Wells and the Rise of." Indiana University. 18 Feb. 2010 <http://www.indiana.edu/~libarch/Wells/wellsbio.html>.
- McEnerney, Shannon. "Herman B Wells: The father of IU." Indiana Daily Student 05 June 2008. Indiana University. 18 Feb. 2010 <http://www.idsnews.com/news/NewStoryPrint.aspx? id=12373>.
- Newman, Andy. "Herman B Wells, 97, President Of Indiana U. in a Crucial Era." New York Times 21 Mar. 2000. 18 Feb. 2010 <http://www.nytimes.com/2000/03/21/us/herman-b- wells-97-president-of-indiana-u-in-a-crucial-era.html?pagewanted=1>.
- Simpson, Christopher. "Chancellor Herman B Wells: We were "lucky" to have known him." IU News Room: Indiana University. 19 Mar. 2000. 18 Feb. 2010 <http://newsinfo.iu.edu/ OCM/releases/wellsrem.htm#wells_chronology>.
- Wells, Herman B. Being lucky: reminiscences and reflections. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1980.
Cite this Term Paper:
Herman B. Wells' Dedication to Indiana University (2014, March 06) Retrieved January 26, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/herman-b-wells-dedication-to-indiana-university-153839/
"Herman B. Wells' Dedication to Indiana University" 06 March 2014. Web. 26 January. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/herman-b-wells-dedication-to-indiana-university-153839/>