Health Care Reform and the Obana-Biden Plan
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines proposed health care reform in the US, with particular emphasis on the Obama-Biden plan. First, the paper describes the difficulties of many American families to cover medical expenses. Statistics are given on the numbers of uninsured in the US as opposed to the profits of pharmaceutical companies. Next, the paper cites numerous scholars and their works on the health care system in America. Finally, the paper lists the seven suggestions made in the Obama-Biden plan for health care reform. The paper concludes with a look at how other industrialized nations manage their health care systems, comparing them the US system.
From the Paper:"The proposed health care reform package will: (1) Require insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions so all Americans regardless of their health status or history can get comprehensive benefits at fair and stable premiums; (2) Create a new Small Business Health Tax Credit to help small businesses provide affordable health insurance to their employees; (3) Lower costs for businesses by covering a portion of the catastrophic health costs they pay in return for lower premiums for employees; (4) Prevent insurers from overcharging doctors for their malpractice insurance and invest in proven strategies to reduce preventable medical errors; (5) Make employer contributions more fair by requiring large employers that do not offer coverage or make a meaningful contribution to the cost of quality health coverage for their employees to contribute a percentage of payroll toward the costs of their employees' health care; (6) Establish a National Health Insurance Exchange with a range of private insurance options as well as a new public plan based on benefits available to members of Congress that will allow individuals and small businesses to buy affordable health coverage..."
Sample of Sources Used:
- America's Broken Health Care System (2009) Health Care Facts. AFL-CIO. Online available at: http://www.aflcio.org/issues/healthcare/facts_hot.cfm
- Bernanke, Ben S. (2008) Challenges for Health-Care Reform. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. 16 June 2008. Online available at: http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/speech/bernanke20080616a.htm
- The Obama-Biden Plan (2009) Change.gov - The Office of the President Elect. Health Care. Online available at: http://change.gov/agenda/health_care_agenda/.
- Gawande, Atul (2009) Getting There From Here. The New Yorker - Annals of Public Policy. 29 Jan 2009. Online available at: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/01/26/090126fa_fact_gawande?printable=true
- Battista, John R. (2008) An International Perspective on Health Care Reform. 8 Oct 2008. The First 100 Days: What Would a Green Administration Look Like? 29 Jan 2008. Online available at: http://www.gp.org/first100/?p=119
Cite this Term Paper:
Health Care Reform and the Obana-Biden Plan (2010, November 13) Retrieved February 16, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/health-care-reform-and-the-obana-biden-plan-145500/
"Health Care Reform and the Obana-Biden Plan" 13 November 2010. Web. 16 February. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/health-care-reform-and-the-obana-biden-plan-145500/>