Global Warming and GHG Auto Standards
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper explains the greenhouse effect and global warming and the role of human activities in this process. The paper looks at the California Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) program, the greenhouse gas emission standards for motor vehicles in New York as well as the implementation of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI). The paper argues that there needs to be a global effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
From the Paper:"In 2003 the state of New York decided that it was time that they did something to begin to fight the problem of Global Warming. In his State of the State address, Governor Pataki called for New York to work together to reduce greenhouse gases. He proposed that this be done by adopting a set of greenhouse gas emission standards for motor vehicles like the ones that were already in place by the state of California (Wren, 2005). The sate of New York first adopted the California Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) program in the early 1990s, and it has continued to follow the cleaner LEV program as it has evolved over the years. Under the Clean Air Act, states have to choose to either adopt the more stringent California LEV program in order to reduce automotive emissions, or to adhere to the Federal standards that are in place. States may not create their own programs in regards to the regulation of vehicle emissions (Wren, 2005)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- "Chapter 5: Quantification of GHG Impacts in Transportation Plans" U.S Department of Transportation. n.d. 24 March 2009 < http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/hep/climatechange/chapter_five.htm>
- Hopwood, Nick and Cohen, Jordan. "Greenhouse Gasses and Society." n.d. 25 March 2009 <http://www.umich.edu/~gs265/society/greenhouse.htm>
- "N.Y. Joins 11-State Effort to Reduce GHG Emissions" Environmental Protection. 2009. 24 March 2009 <http://www.eponline.com/articles/70320/>
- "Subpart 218-8: Greenhouse Gas Exhaust Emission Standards." Statutory authority: Environmental Conservation Law. 2005. 24 March 2009 < http://www.newamerica.net/files/NY%20LEV%20Rules.pdf>
- Wren, Maureen. "State Environmental Board Approves New Vehicle Emissions Standards." 2005. 24 March 2009 < http://www.4cleanair.org/NYNewVehicleEmissionsStandards.pdf>
Cite this Term Paper:
Global Warming and GHG Auto Standards (2011, March 03) Retrieved April 21, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/global-warming-and-ghg-auto-standards-147227/
"Global Warming and GHG Auto Standards" 03 March 2011. Web. 21 April. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/global-warming-and-ghg-auto-standards-147227/>