False Advertising and Ethics Term Paper by Nicky
A look at issues in false advertising.
# 150646 | 2,115 words | 6 sources | APA | 2012 |
Published on Mar 28, 2012 in Business (Consumer Behavior) , Advertising (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines ethical and legal issues involved in false advertising. Additionally, it looks at the consequences for the consumer and the business making false claims. First, the paper discusses how false advertising claims continue to be made, despite laws against this practice. Then it cites legislation that is intended to protect consumers. Next, the paper discusses some cases that involved false advertising and the repercussions on the company sponsoring the advertisement. In particular, it notes the misleading claims of online dating sites such as match.com. The paper concludes by asking consumers to reflect on how they can make a difference with regards to false advertising.
From the Paper:"Whether an advertisement is false or deceptive doesn't matter to a customer who has been cheated. For him, the fact remains that, it was due to misleading advertisement that he lost his money and his trust was betrayed. This is a highly unethical business practice but even some of the biggest names in business have also resorted to such illegal tactics to attract customers. One very recent example of this was the YAZ commercial which even Yaz said on television that it needed to correct on directions of FDA. Bayer, the world leader in pharmaceuticals, is the manufacturer of YAZ, which is the most popular birth control pill in the US. YAZ commercials indicate that the birth control pill does more than offer protection. It also helps with acne and PMS problems. However later FDA forced YAZ to correct "a few points" in the commercials and a revised commercial was aired. It was a rare occasion when FDA forced a corrective campaign and asked Bayer to spend $20 million on corrective advertising."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Pratkanis, A. (2001) Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion Aronson Holt Paperbacks; illustrated edition
- Coleman, J.W. (2001) The Criminal Elite: Understanding White Collar Crime. Worth Publishers. Fifth Edition .
- Singer, N. A Birth Control Pill That Promised Too Much, February 10, 2009, New York Times.
- Advertising, Mortgage Lending Compliance with Federal and State Guidance, 2001, retrieved from Internet, http://www.allfundinfo.com/4-1.doc
- David Utter, No Love for Match.com, Yahoo in Lawsuits, retrieved from Internet, http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/topnews/wpn-60-20051118NoLoveForMatchcomYahooInLawsuits.html
Cite this Term Paper:
False Advertising and Ethics (2012, March 28) Retrieved May 27, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/false-advertising-and-ethics-150646/
"False Advertising and Ethics" 28 March 2012. Web. 27 May. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/false-advertising-and-ethics-150646/>