Elective Abortion and Nursing
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper addresses the issue of whether nurses are obligated to care for patients who undergo elective abortion surgery. It reports on studies carried out that examines the basic social processes experienced by women who sought recovery assistance following an elective abortion, often suffering in silence because they were afraid that others would judge them. It concludes that nurses should determine their personal positions on abortion before accepting a job that involves this procedure.
From the Paper:"Nursing organizations across the country agree that providing care to abortion patients is a critical aspect of nursing. However, various statements call out that a nurse has the right to whatever opinion she holds and that it is up to each individual nurse to decide if they do not want to work in a place the performs abortions. For example, the New York State Nurses Association Position Statement on Abortion (2008) was created in response to legislative activity concerning abortion law, as well as requests from the professional nursing community. Nurses had requested clarity in regard to their rights and responsibilities and the rights of their patients who underwent elective abortions."
Sample of Sources Used:
- American Nurses Association. (2001). "Code for nurses with interpretive statements." Washington, DC.
- Callahan, Tom. (January 4, 1998). Backing the Right of Nurses Not to Assist in Abortions. New York Times
- Fromer, MJ. (April 30, 1982). Abortion Ethics. Nurse Outlook: 30(4):234-40.
- New York State Nurses Association. (2008). Position Statement on Abortion. Retrieved form the Internet at: http://www.nysna.org/practice/positions/position2_04.htm.
- Williams, Gail. (2001). Short-Term Grief After an Elective Abortion. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Cite this Term Paper:
Elective Abortion and Nursing (2010, September 02) Retrieved April 03, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/elective-abortion-and-nursing-129140/
"Elective Abortion and Nursing" 02 September 2010. Web. 03 April. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/elective-abortion-and-nursing-129140/>