Elder Abuse Term Paper by Quality Writers
This paper explores elder abuse and its implications for nursing.
# 101762 | 1,210 words | 5 sources | APA | 2008 |
Published on Feb 29, 2008 in Medical and Health (Nursing) , Aging (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses how elder abuse is a problem around the world, both in private homes and in institutions such as nursing homes and hospitals. The paper relates that elder abuse can be in the form of physical, emotional, financial, sexual abuse and neglect. The paper looks at the nurse's role and explains that aside from identifying elder abuse, the nurse can provide the older person and the abuser with the information and the access to resources that they need to change the situation.
From the Paper:"Elder abuse is a problem around the world both in private homes and institutions such as nursing homes and hospitals. The reason that elder abuse is so prevalent is that the elderly in most areas of the world suffer from stigma. In our culture, the problem of ageism offers the idea that the elderly are unproductive and worthless. Many cultures hold the notion that the elderly are pessimistic and dependent (Anonymous, 2006). The results of such attitudes, as shown by reports, are that almost one-half of all nursing homes do not provide their residents with the minimum standards of medication (Anonymous, 2006). This type of neglect often leads to a deterioration of the person's condition."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Anonymous (2006). Institutional elder abuse. The Lancet, 367 (9511), 634.
- Furness, S. (2006). Recognizing and addressing elder abuse in care homes. The Journal of Adult Protection, 8 (1), 33-50.
- Lachs, M. (2004). Elder abuse. The Lancet, 364 (9441), 1263-1273.
- RNAO (2004). RNAO holds 3rd international conference on elder care. http://www.rnao.org/Page.asp?PageID=122&ContentID=759
- Walling, A. (2005). Intervention and treatment strategies for elder abuse. American Family Physician, 72 (5), 896-898.
Cite this Term Paper:
Elder Abuse (2008, February 29) Retrieved June 03, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/elder-abuse-101762/
"Elder Abuse" 29 February 2008. Web. 03 June. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/elder-abuse-101762/>