Effects of Foster Care on Children Term Paper by Nicky
Effects of Foster Care on Children
An examination of the developmental effects of foster care on children.
# 145020 | 1,075 words | 7 sources | APA | 2010 |
Published on Oct 22, 2010 in Psychology (Child and Adolescent) , Sociology (Social Work) , Child, Youth Issues (Family Issues)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper examines the research on the developmental impact of foster care on children in the United States today. The paper discusses the situations that call for foster care and the developmental benefits of removing children from unhealthy, violent and abusive home environments. The paper highlights the advantages of single long-term foster care placement and notes that many young people manage to overcome obstacles during their childhood to go on to achieve both their personal and professional goals in life.
Review and Discussion
Review and Discussion
From the Paper:"Childhood and adolescence can represent a turbulent and challenging period in any young person's life, but when their lives are complicated by the adverse impacts of a violent or abusive home environment, or when they experience the loss of one or both parents for whatever reason, these young people can experience some developmental problems that will require an informed and caring approach to resolve. It is widely acknowledged in the scholarly literature that childhood experiences are precursors and even causative factors, for psychological dysfunctions that tend to emerge later in life. In addition, a wide range of personality theories and views on the development of psychopathologies have been formulated that are based on the specific concept that early traumatic life experiences can have profound effects on the developmental process (Brown & Rhodes, 1991)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Barth, R.P., & Berry, M. (1987). Outcomes of child welfare services under permanency planning. Social Services Review, 71-90 in Smith & Fong at 179.
- Booth, A. & Crouter, A. C. (2001). Does it take a village? Community effects on children, adolescents and families. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Brown, W. K. & Rhodes, W. A. (1991). Why some children succeed despite the odds. New York: Praeger Publishers.
- Hislop, F. H., Wulczyn, K. B. & Goerge, R.M. (2000). Foster care dynamics 1983-1998. A report from the multi-state foster care data archive. Chicago, IL: Chapin Hall Center for Children.
- Massinga, R. & Pecora, P. J. (2004). Providing better opportunities for older children in the child welfare system. The Future of Children, 14(1), 150-151.
Cite this Term Paper:
Effects of Foster Care on Children (2010, October 22) Retrieved June 09, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/effects-of-foster-care-on-children-145020/
"Effects of Foster Care on Children" 22 October 2010. Web. 09 June. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/effects-of-foster-care-on-children-145020/>