Early Mountain Recreation in Canada
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses early mountain recreation in Canada with a focus on the activities on Hollyburn Ridge, British Columbia. It first describes the effects of climate, geography and natural resources on the history and development of recreation in Canada. The paper then argues that the activities of the pioneers of recreational sport run parallel to national historic highlights in the establishment of Canada as a nation and therefore are key in the building of the nation. The paper contains a map and photographs in an appendix.
From the Paper:"In conclusion, the scenic beauty and natural wonders of snow covered mountains have long been to people a compelling force. The development of Canadian mountain recreation parallels the development of Canada as a country. This is evident specifically in the areas of economics, the role of immigrants and women, the Canadian Pacific Railway, The Cold War, The Great Depression, and the emerging environmental movement. Participation was a quest for freedom and spiritual renewal. The activities of everyday Canadians from coast to coast who participated in mountain climbs, skiing and cabin building played a role in Canada as it made the complex climb to become a nation."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Burnes, John Rodger. Saga of a Municipality In Its Formative Days 1891 - 1907 (undated).
- Climbers Access Society of British Columbia. (2005). http://www.access-society.ca/updates/updates2(lowerMainland).html.
- Corbet, Elise A. and Anthony W. Rasporich. Editors. Winter Sports in the West. (Calgary,AB: Historical Society of Alberta 1990). Pp. 148, illus. Reviewed by Alan Metcalfe University of Windsor http://18.104.22.168/access/jour.ihtml?lp=product/chr/731/winter22.html
- Crown Publications Inc. https://miva.crownpub.bc.ca.
- Davis, Chuck. Reflections - 100 Years - A Celebration of the District of North Vancouver's Centennial. (Vancouver, BC: Opus Productions Inc., 1990).
Cite this Term Paper:
Early Mountain Recreation in Canada (2008, August 25) Retrieved September 22, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/early-mountain-recreation-in-canada-107192/
"Early Mountain Recreation in Canada" 25 August 2008. Web. 22 September. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/early-mountain-recreation-in-canada-107192/>