Diversity and Conflict
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses the barriers women and minorities face in today's workforce. The paper explains how workplace diversity affects conflict in two different ways. The paper discusses how conflict can work to an organization's advantage in certain circumstances and is often desired as a basis for making decisions.
From the Paper:"Diversity in the American workplace is very important but corporate culture in this country works against women and minorities to a certain extent (Tannen, 1995). The conversational styles that most women use tend to be less popular with businesses and corporations than the conversational styles that men use. Because of this, women are often overlooked for promotions, are seen as less confident, and are not considered as worthwhile when it comes to individuals giving their ideas and helping out with teamwork. Much of this comes from childhood when little girls were taught to be nice to other individuals and help to downplay their weaknesses, while little boys were taught to play up the weaknesses of other individuals and claim strength and domination if they were able (Tannen, 1995; Adams & Galanges, 2005)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Adams, Katherine L., & Galanges, Gloria J. (2005). Communicating in Groups. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Jehn, Karen A., Northcraft, Gregory B., & Neale, Margaret A. (December, 1999) "Why Differences Make a Difference: A Field Study of Diversity, Conflict, and Performance in Workgroups." Administrative Science Quarterly.
- Michard, C. Viollet, C. "Sex and gender in linguistics: Fifteen years of feminist research in the United States and Germany." Feminist Issues 11 (1991): 53-88.
- Pelled, Lisa Hope, Eisenhardt, Kathleen M., & Xin, Katherine R. (March, 1999) "Exploring the black box: an analysis of work group diversity, conflict, and performance." Administrative Science Quarterly
- Tannen, Deborah. "The power of talk: who gets heard and why." Harvey & Allard (1995): 103-116.
Cite this Term Paper:
Diversity and Conflict (2007, October 25) Retrieved September 21, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/term-paper/diversity-and-conflict-98948/
"Diversity and Conflict" 25 October 2007. Web. 21 September. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/term-paper/diversity-and-conflict-98948/>